Can AVP really display 4k movies?

As per this very technical article:

“Using the THX 40° horizontal FOV standard and assuming the AVP is about 90° horizontally (per eye, 110 for both eyes), ~3680 pixels horizontally, and almost no pixels get cropped, this leaves 3680 x (40/90) = ~1635 pixels horizontally. Using the STMPE 30° gives about 3680 x (30/60) = ~1226 pixels wide.

If the AVP is used for watching movies and showing the movie content “optimally,” the image will be lower than full HD (1920×1080) resolution, and since there are ~40ppd, jaggies will be visible.”

To my understanding, this means that even if you send a 4k image to AVP, and you set the “screen” size to maximum and you “drag” it as close as possible to your eyes, you will still loose a lot of details. Can some lucky owners chime in and do a visual comparison between a 4k movie displayed on a tv vs AVP?

I watched Dune in 3D last night. Your math above does check out, but 40 degree FOV is a pretty small screen when in a movie theater setting. I watched at closer to 90 degrees last night and it was incredible. It’s so much better than sitting close in a real theater because you don’t have to crane your neck up.

Was it quite as sharp as my 77in OLED? I’d say not quite, but I haven’t watched Dune on it in years, so I’d have to compare. Was it worth the small loss in sharpness to have a 160in TV on my wall? Or a 200 foot screen and sit further back? I’d say yes. It was incredible.

You also have that resolution in both eyes. But I’m unsure if having it repeated helps with perceived resolution or not. Especially when it comes to 3D. Its something I’m interested in learning more about.

1 Like

What about glare? I’m noticing a lot of glare on mine, especially when watching on a dark background. I noticed a lot of people are complaining about this on Reddit and forums on MacRumors.
The image quality is outstanding but the lens glare is soooo disapointing.
And it’s nothing to do with fitting, it a reflection from the sensor to the lense. I guess it’s somehow prominent in pancake lenses but I heard in the Oculus Pro they did some special coating to prevent this.

1 Like

I’ve noticed it around the picture, but it didn’t bother me. Seemed worst in Apple Theater scene now that I think about it. I watched on that Hawaii mountain top at night last night and don’t remember even noticing it.

1 Like

lots of cats on macrumors are disappointed about the light leakage. some say in the store demo they didn’t see it but at home in the dark they do, which speaks about the pancake lens on the product and light reflecting off it causing halos and other anomalies. i am waiting for my lens inserts so ive not really even opened mine up yet.

Yeah, it feels like when watching a movie with dirty glasses. Some people say that laying down with the head at an angle, like if you’re watching from the lower part of the lens, that pushes the glare to the top and is better, I tried it last night, and it is better, but I’d love to compare with other VP to see if it’s more like lens lottery at this point.
Other people mentioned that you can manually align the lenses manually, instead of automatically like it does at the beginning, something about pressing the left button while in that mode.

1 Like

What environment are you watching in?

I tried many (night mode) and the theater setup on Apple TV

1 Like

Hmmm. I mean I see it, but it seems like it’s above the image, and doesn’t really bother me at all. I’ve got lenses coming tomorrow to use when I don’t have my contacts in. Curious if that makes a difference.

1 Like

If it’s more on the top then it’s not too bad, mine are like in front of me

1 Like

For me the glare is the single largest issue with the device. If i return it it’ll be because of the glare.

As for 4k, the math might make sense, but i can say in practice, playing back videos in infuse looks quite a bit worse than playing 4k content from disney+ or Apple TV+, i think the iPad version of infuse is stuck rendering at iPad res and scaling up regardless of file resolution.

If we really couldn’t see more than what is described in the op, I don’t think the difference would be so large.

1 Like

Yea, that is for sure a symptom of being contained to the iPad window.

1 Like

I just contacted Apple about this and they created a case, they will forward to engineering. I also have an appointment on 2/10 at an Apple Store to do an in-store demo. I know what to look for now.
Basically what I need to find out is: is this a defective unit, or is it intrinsic to the technology, specifically pancake lenses. My money is on the technology aspect of it.
If it is a tech issue then it could be more of a lens-lottery situation, since some lenses might display less or in less obtrusive locations. Might as well return and re-buy until you get one that fits your needs, I doubt Apple will replace even with AppleCare.
I’ve had Oculus Quest 2 and 3 and they have those issues, plus some God Rays, which at least the Apple Vision Pro doesn’t have. Those are worse than a glare. I’m just baffled how nobody doing those early reviews didn’t say anything about this.

1 Like

a lot of people expressing how they are also baffled the early tech reviewers didnt mention this! they had to have seen it. this is why i take what these “influencers” say with a grain of salt because at the end of the day they have to kowtow to the vendor ( in this case apple) and not be too critical, lest they lose that “influence” with that vendor in getting future tech. like, soo many people are seeing this. granted there are thousands of folks who have these around the country and we are only seeing a modest selection of people on these forums, but because of this glare and light reflection going on inside, it makes you wonder why the “influencers” did not see this. even marques (sp?) had it on for about 90 minutes on his podcast and didnt mention it.
my lenses come in tomorrow so ill finally get to set mine up and see myself.

I’m not saying I don’t see it, it just isn’t distracting to me. It’s more noticeable around the image than on it. I truly believe you don’t see it talked about much because it only really bothers a handful of people. I do think Nilay may have mentioned it on The Verge or in a podcast he was part of.

Brian Tong barely mentions it, he’s like really tip-toeing around the issue.
https://youtu.be/GkPw6ScHyb4?si=O5hPZ95BzKPjvGjc

Regarding Infuse iPad on AVP, I think it’s not doing HDR, so that will be something for the devs to look into it. But I could be wrong.

1 Like

Thanks! A small loss in clarity is acceptable, I’ve had some other VR headsets so I’m not a total stranger of this tech. My use case is very simple and maybe unpopular, I want to replace my projector with AVP, everything else that it offers is just a bonus for me. With other VR headsets the immersion is there, but the resolution it’s just too low (oculus & psvr2).

1 Like

I think you will love it. I’ve watched movies and tv on it the last couple nights. It’s incredible. I used to have a projector and now have a 77in OLED. This thing blows them out of the water.

2 Likes

I wasn’t pixel peeping, but what I can say with certainty is that the “theater experience” (available in for content viewed in the Apple TV app, including movies bought on iTunes) is way better than my 77" 4K LG OLED CX. The lens glare definitely exists, which is annoying, but it’s not noticeable except in scenes with extreme contrast of bright points on extremely dark backgrounds, like title cards. But all of that pales in comparison to the sheer size of the virtual display and how great that is. And it’s even better that you can carry it with you in your backpack and use it in even the most cramped quarters.

1 Like

That’s great! The images looks “organic”, not video like. Unfortunately for me, the glare is all the time, everywhere. I’m thinking in returning / exchanging mine. I don’t think I’m “that” sensitive to glare, it’s gotta be some units have it more than others.
What I did notice is that things look great in the Apple TV app, the HBO I only have the HD plan so I can’t say for sure , but everything else looks very soft compared qualty-wise to the Apple TV app.
I even tried that Moon Video app to see how it plays a single UHD MKV, and the quality is not good, It looks like HD compared to 4K in Apple TV+. Maybe they just ported an iPad version to VIsionOS, since it came out so fast.

1 Like