BTstack with ATV2 and ATVflash Questions

Same thing for me, it sees my BT keyboard but when I go to pairing it doesn’t register the 0000 I’m typing in even though it is connected in the previous screen. Tried restart, tried turning off keyboard, unpairing with any other devices, etc.

BT Stack was working for me until I updated to 4.4.4

I wish I hadn’t bothered now because I did it to get Airplay Mirroring, to later discover that it only works with devices that have an A5 processor (currently the iPad2 and latest iPhone). Doesn’t work with the iPod Touch as I’d hoped and now I can’t use my Bluetooth keyboard.

The issue has been raised with the BTstack developer on his Google Code page, so I’m sure there will be a future update. I update all my Nito TV apps on a weekly basis, so hopefully I’ll be able to use the keyboard again some time soon.

I found a write up at the following link on how to get BTstack.

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=71352

1. SSH into your ATV2
2. type: apt-get install ch.ringwald.keyboard-atv
3. type: apt-get install org.tomcool.btstack-ui
4. type: killall AppleTV

Now you have everything setup and it’s time to pair the keyboard.

1. In Frontrow goto Settings -> Custom Settings -> BTStack

and starts searching for your BT Keyboard.
It took me some fiddeling to get the keyboard in pairing mode,
but after turning on the keyboard and a quick 3 presses on the keyboard made it pair.

Type in 0000 and press enter, and you are done

You can use this keyboard in the main menu and in XBMC enjoy!

Thanks for the instructions but this is what I did. BT Stack was working very well for me before I updated to 4.4 on the ATV2; now it gets as far as connecting but won’t accept the key strokes when I enter ‘0000’.

Have you updated to the latest iOS? If so, you are very lucky to get BT Stack working; I’ve tried multiple times but without success.

Have you tried the steps at the end of the thread about iOS4.4.4 on the developers issue register?   It appears that the problem may have been resolved in the last day or so but currently the steps to fix the problem are manual until the fix finishes testing and  makes its way into the repositories.

Although it’s a bit annoying to be without BTstack, I know it is well-maintained and an update would probably appear soon; that’s why I run “update all” in Nito TV every few days .

You’ve made a valid suggestion though and I may update it manually tonight if I find the time (I’ve got a busy evening schedule this week). It appears that some people have had success just by changing the .plist. If I have issues with the update I’ll post them on the developer’s Googlecode page and if I have success, I’ll post here.

I changed the ch.ringwald.keyboardd.plist - download from http://code.google.com/p/btstack/issues/detail?id=225#c109 - and tried to pair the keyboard to the ATV2 but I was stuck on the Enter ‘0000’ screen. I didn’t get any confirmation of success but when I re-booted the ATV2 the bluetooth keyboard worked.

The location of the file that needs replaced is:

/Library/LaunchDaemon/ch.ringwald.keyboardd.plist

Has anybody made any mention of getting a pair of Bluetooth stereo headphones to work under BTstack? It would certainly ease things between me and the wife when I want to watch something with explosions after 10.

Do you have an ATV2 and bluetooth headphones? If so, give it a try and report back. BTstack with a keyboard asks for input of ‘0000’ to pair the device but I don’t think it’s necessary anymore, from what I’ve read. The search for bluetooth devices should find your headphones easily but I don’t know how they would function. My guess though is that they would work fine if the devices can pair. I’d love to know if that was true; I’d like to watch films late at night at a volume above whisper level (for fear of annoying the neighbours or waking the kids). I don’t have bluetooth headphones to test but this would be a great excuse to get some.

I have such a pair of headphones, and I’ve gotten to where the BTstack is able to discover my headphones but not fully pair with them. I am quite lost. Will fool around with it more later on.

I am very new to aTV2 and JB but I can not seem to find how to setup BT support. I installed BT Stack etc. There is supposed to be a Custom settings menu but I do not have it

That seems to not appear on the latest iOS.   An earlier post talked about setting up BTStack via the CLI from a SSH session.

Ah okay, I’ll search for that post

Thanks

I found the info and tried 2 different keyboards but neither would pair, an HP Touchpad keyboard and a Nextech. 

Terminal just hangs after I enter 0000 on keyboard. Ah well, going to have to grab a Mac BT one.

When I paired mine (albeit it was an Apple keyboard) it took a few tries for it to pick up the 0000. You can press CTRL+C to exit out of keyboard-config, repeat the process a few times and make sure the keyboard is still in discovery mode.

Thanks for reply, but I did try numerous times on both. Going to have to grab an Apple one

BTW, how do I disable email alerts to replies on forum?

If you go to the start of a thread there is an option to disable alerts for replies in that thread (I.e. stop watching the Topic).

Is it just me or are these various solutions offered but not supported by Firecore just oains in the ASS to get working. I just updated to the newest Season Pass / Firecore for the aTV2. First I must say what was Apple thinking when the abandoned the Old UI for the piece of garbage?

Now the issue at hand, I have struggled and have everything working but my Bluetooth keyboard. This is not that different from the problems I experienced tyring to get it to work under the old UI and Firecore. With no help from Firecore I figured you needed to load Nito TV to get access to the BT files. The problem I am having is that reading the forums various people have written step-by-step how to initalize the BT stack and getting the BTKB connected.

My problem is they tell to go to menus I can’t find anywhere on this istallation. The funny part is during the inital install if NITO TV I saw the menu entry they are directing me too, but now they don’t exist.

If it ween’t for the fact that I have invested a lot of time and money in building my Home entertainment systen around the ATV2 and the ATV before that, I would pitch it out the window.

Has anyone else experienced this missing menu thing, if so what am I missing…

Wayne

BTStack UI hasn’t been updated for 5.x, here are the steps to configure via SSH: Howto: Bluetooth Keyboard (5.01) - 2nd gen Apple TV - Firecore

I get this message in Putty when SSH into my AppleTv
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get install ch.ringwald.keyboard-atv
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.

Not sure what this means or what I need to do

Thanks