Bricked - Black screen, please help

Just installed today for the first time.  I had multiple issues from the get go and now it won't show anything anymore.  After starting up the ATV, I get the usual animation but no menus afterwards.  I tried running the install from my USB drive again and although the install finished successfully, it didn't solve my issue.

It's still accessible through FTP.  Any help?  How do I restore to factory settings?

By chance are you using an external USB drive for iTunes syncing?

No iTunes wharsoever. I would never use such garbage.

As I made a support request after this post and was instructed to “restore the system from the menus” (When I clearly indicated I had a black screen [meaning NO MENUS!] ) It was obvious the person in support did nort even read the post. I submit here the same diagnostic information that is on the support request.

I do not believe in reformatting the system when my XBMC config is so customized, and I see it as a ridiculous solution that is only an easy way out for support.

This was clearly the result after installing updates.

I have since removed all entries in rc.local and the ATV booted up, however the kext fiules seem to be unrecognized by the system now, even after removing and reinstaklling many components.

• After reading your ridiculous reply that I could start over from the menus that I could not see, here is where I currently stand...

I was able to ssh to the ATV. I removed all of the references in rc.local.

I was then able to boot the ATV however with little more than a stock ATV with XBMC.

I then proceeded to add back the removed items to rc.local via the ATV interface

Attempting to mount my NAS I get a reference to smbfs.kext which clearly is in the indicated folder.

I had been working with SMB when I updated, which no longer works at all. I poked around some and have found the following while trying to load smbfs.kext manually with -v 6 option.

-bash-2.05b$ sudo kextload -v 6 /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
    kextload: adding repository /System/Library/Extensions
    kextload: scanning repository /System/Library/Extensions
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions
    kextload: found valid extension AppleHDA.kext
    kextload: found valid extension AppleSMBIOS.kext
    kextload: found valid extension AppleTCOWatchdog.kext
    kextload: found valid extension AudioIPCDriver.kext
    kextload: found valid extension cddafs.kext
    kextload: found valid extension Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOCDStorageFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IODVDStorageFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOHDIXController.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOHIDFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOStorageFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOUSBFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IPFirewall.kext
    kextload: found valid extension msdosfs.kext
    kextload: found valid extension ntfs.kext
    kextload: found valid extension smbfs.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext
    kextload: found valid extension udf.kext
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTCOWatchdog.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/cddafs.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothFirmwareDownload.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/CSRHIDTransitionDriver.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOBluetoothBNEPDriver.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOBluetoothSCOAudioDriver.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOBluetoothSerialManager.kext
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOCDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IODVDStorageFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOHIDFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: found valid extension IOHIDFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHIDEventDriver.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOHIDFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHIDEventDriverSafeBoot.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOHIDFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHIDSystem.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOHIDFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHIDUserClient.kext
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: found valid extension IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOSCSIReducedBlockCommandsDevice.kext
    kextload: found valid extension IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskUserClient.kext
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: found valid extension IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBHIDDriverSafeBoot.kext
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/IPFirewall.kext/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/ntfs.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/AppleNMI.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/ApplePlatformFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel6.0.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit6.0.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/IONVRAMFamily.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/IOSystemManagement.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern6.0.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/Mach6.0.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/System6.0.kext
    kextload: found valid extension System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext
    kextload: scanning directory /System/Library/Extensions/udf.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    kextload: request to clear relationships while disabled; pending
    kextload: added repository /System/Library/Extensions
    kextload: request to add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
    kextload: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext exists
    kextload: clearing all version/dependency relationships among kernel extensions
    kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext appears to be valid
    kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
    kextload: calculating version relationships
    kextload: resolving dependencies for extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
    kextload: looking for dependency of extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext with ID com.apple.kpi.libkern, compatible with version 8.0.0b1
    kextload: found compatible dependency from extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext; resolving its dependencies
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext is a kernel resource and thus has no dependencies
    kextload: looking for dependency of extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext with ID com.apple.kpi.bsd, compatible with version 8.0.0b1
    kextload: found compatible dependency from extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext; resolving its dependencies
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext is a kernel resource and thus has no dependencies
    kextload: looking for dependency of extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext with ID com.apple.kpi.unsupported, compatible with version 8.0.0b2
    kextload: found compatible dependency from extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext; resolving its dependencies
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext is a kernel resource and thus has no dependencies
    kextload: looking for dependency of extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext with ID com.apple.kpi.iokit, compatible with version 8.0.0b1
    kextload: found compatible dependency from extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext; resolving its dependencies
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext is a kernel resource and thus has no dependencies
    kextload: looking for dependency of extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext with ID com.apple.kpi.mach, compatible with version 8.0.0b1
    kextload: found compatible dependency from extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext; resolving its dependencies
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext is a kernel resource and thus has no dependencies
    kextload: authenticating extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext
    kextload: authenticating bundle directory /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Info.plist”
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Libkern”
    kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext is authentic
    kextload: authenticating extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext
    kextload: authenticating bundle directory /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/Info.plist”
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/BSDKernel”
    kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext is authentic
    kextload: authenticating extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext
    kextload: authenticating bundle directory /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Info.plist”
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported”
    kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext is authentic
    kextload: authenticating extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext
    kextload: authenticating bundle directory /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/Info.plist”
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit”
    kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext is authentic
    kextload: authenticating extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext
    kextload: authenticating bundle directory /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Info.plist”
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach”
    kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext is authentic
    kextload: authenticating extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
    kextload: authenticating bundle directory /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/Info.plist”
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents”
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs”
    kextload: authenticating file/directory “/System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS”
    kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext is authentic
    kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
    kextload: loading dependency graph:
    kextload: flattened dependency list:
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs
    kextload: is kernel component: no
    kextload: expected kmod name: [com.apple.filesystems.smbfs]
    kextload: expected kmod vers: [1.3.6]
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Libkern
    kextload: is kernel component: yes
    kextload: expected kmod name: [com.apple.kpi.libkern]
    kextload: expected kmod vers: [8.8.2]
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/BSDKernel
    kextload: expected kmod name: [com.apple.kpi.bsd]
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported
    kextload: expected kmod name: [com.apple.kpi.unsupported]
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit
    kextload: expected kmod name: [com.apple.kpi.iokit]
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach
    kextload: expected kmod name: [com.apple.kpi.mach]
    kextload:
    kextload: load order dependency list:
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/BSDKernel
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Libkern
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs
    kextload:
    kextload: dependency graph:
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs -> /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Libkern
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs -> /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/BSDKernel
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs -> /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs -> /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs -> /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach
    kextload:
    kextload: getting module addresses from kernel
    kextload: mapping the kernel file /mach
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/BSDKernel
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Libkern
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs
    kextload: checking whether module file com.apple.kpi.mach is already loaded
    kextload: checking whether module file com.apple.kpi.iokit is already loaded
    kextload: checking whether module file com.apple.kpi.unsupported is already loaded
    kextload: checking whether module file com.apple.kpi.bsd is already loaded
    kextload: checking whether module file com.apple.kpi.libkern is already loaded
    kextload: checking whether module file com.apple.filesystems.smbfs is already loaded
    kextload: mapping the kernel file /mach
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach
    kextload: module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach is already mapped
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit
    kextload: module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit is already mapped
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported
    kextload: module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported is already mapped
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/BSDKernel
    kextload: module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/BSDKernel is already mapped
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Libkern
    kextload: module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Libkern is already mapped
    kextload: mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs
    kextload: module file /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs is already mapped
    kextload: patching C++ code in module /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs
    kextload: link/loading file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach
    kextload: link/loading file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit
    kextload: link/loading file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Unsupported
    kextload: link/loading file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/BSDKernel
    kextload: link/loading file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Libkern
    kextload: opaque link for /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs
    kextload: link/loading file /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext/Contents/MacOS/smbfs
    kextload: allocated 196608 bytes in kernel space at 0x2d0c3000
    kextload: using load address of 0x2d0c3000
    kextload: kmod name: com.apple.filesystems.smbfs
    kextload: kmod start @ 0x2d0eafdd (offset 0x272fd)
    kextload: kmod stop @ 0x2d0eaff1 (offset 0x27311)
    kextload: unable to register module with kernel
    kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
    kextload: clearing all version/dependency relationships among kernel extensions
    kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel

Jun-01 2011 23:35
  • Here is the install log as you can see there are some errors.

2011-06-01 14:01:23.484 nitoHelper[348] kextloader already installed!

2011-06-01 14:01:33.776 nitoHelper[348] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
    /Users/frontrow/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist
    The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
    2011-06-01 14:01:33.778 nitoHelper[348] mach_kernel.prelink already patched or unrecognized

2011-06-01 14:01:34.151 nitoHelper[348] bins installed successfully!

2011-06-01 14:02:23.771 nitoHelper[348] Bluetooth.prefPane install failure

2011-06-01 14:02:23.789 nitoHelper[348] Bluetooth.menu install failure

2011-06-01 14:02:23.806 nitoHelper[348] rc.local addition success

This software is copyright 2008 Turbo (Mike Byrne) and MAY NOT be distributed.
    All rights reserved.
    Contact turbo@0xfeedbeef.com for more information

Installing kext enabler… OK!
    Installing Turbo’s SSE3 emulator… OK!

Done.
    kextload: loaded version 1.4.7 of module com.apple.filesystems.msdosfs differs from requested version com.apple.filesystems.msdosfs
    kextload: loaded version 1.0.12 of module com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS differs from requested version com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/IOHIDFamily.kext/sbin/kextload: no such bundle file exists
    can’t add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOHIDFamily.kext/sbin/kextload (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
    kextload: /-v: no such bundle file exists
    can’t add kernel extension -v (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/sbin/kextload: no such bundle file exists
    can’t add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/sbin/kextload (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
    can’t add kernel extension -v (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
    can’t add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAltiVecDVDDriver.bundle (not a kernel extension) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)
    can’t find extension /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/sbin/kextload in database
    unlink: /Users/frontrow/Movies/Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combined Update (Intel): No such file or directory
    2011-06-01 14:02:30.314 nitoHelper[348] Installation completed successfully

Jun-02 2011 23:40

If this is typical of the support replies, it is better to run XBMC/Boxee on a dedicated PC system.