Boost center channel when downmixing

Hi,

When playing a 5.1 file on 2.0 audio setup conversations are sometimes a bit hard to follow. OSMC had a great feature to deal with this; it had a feature that allowed the center audio channel to be amplified when playing a 5.1 file on a 2.0 audio setup. A nice trick to do hear conversions perfectly.

It would be great to have such feature… for ffmpeg-based solutions the required code appears to be quite simple… see osmc/atv-002-boost-centre-channel.patch at c6ce614d03a7b9c7f1519ff1be46d3de097ba3c7 · osmc/osmc · GitHub for some code snippets :wink:

Cheers,

Eric

I have a 2.0 speaker setup, and sometimes hearing dialog in movies is difficult due to the downmixing from 5.1 to 2.0

I’ve noticed that there’s an option to boost the center channel if the video file uses 6ch AAC audio. However most of my videos are either 5.1 DTS or 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Are there any plans to support “Center Channel Boost” for other audio codecs? I’d be happy is Infuse downmixed the audio (while boosting center channel!) and output 2.0 LPCM via HDMI.

Thanks!

1 Like

I know this is a very old post, I would like to bring this up again. Would also prefer this kind of option (no default, but a yes/no flag would be nice) for users who might not have an multichannel setup.