Blu-ray ripping & re-encoding

I just ran into this same problem! HDR and DV files that I ripped from MakeMKV are fine, it’s only after I pass the video through Handbrake that this happens—scrubbing anywhere in the video causes the frame I land on to get stuck, while audio keeps playing. It’s happening on both HDR and DV files. SDR files are fine.

The proper badge triggers on the TV, so it seems like Handbrake is carrying over the metadata properly.

Why would you run it through handbrake?

Help me understand!?! After you rip the movie through MakeMkv or DVDFAB, what is the point of running it through another program.

Until a few days ago I was a purist: I wanted the best possible quality forever. I’ve got a 140TB NAS that’s now 80% full, (filled with 12 x 16 TB drives) and I don’t show any sign of slowing down ripping discs! I’ve got 2,500 movies and another 2,500 TV episodes at this point.

So I started to look at my options:

• Upgrade my existing drives to 18, 20, 22TB. With prices right now that’s $3,000 to $5,000
  • Add on a 12-bay expansion NAS to mine. $2000 for the box and another $2000-$3000 for drives (if I stick to 16 TB)
  • Find a way to optimize my existing storage

Option 3 was the cheapest, so I looked into the state of Handbrake these days. There’s another thread where some hardcore home theater folks are using HB and figured out some settings for themselves that provide no noticeable degradation in quality, but with a file size that’s 50-75% smaller than the original! But even then the file size is still 2x-3x bigger that the same file from a streaming service, so I’ve still got better quality than you can anywhere online! Feels like bluray is dying, so pretty soon streaming will be the only option available anyway.

I did a couple of test encodes and I’ve found the same: at my viewing distance, I can’t tell the difference between the original and the re-encoded version. If I’m 2 feet from the screen I can see a difference (most noticeably fine grain isn’t as apparent) but I don’t watch movies from there! :smiley:

I pass through all of the original audio: you could remove another few GB per file if you re-encode something like TrueHD down to Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1, but I’m okay with taking up a little extra room to have the original audio. (Also soundtracks with Atmos can’t currently be re-encoded to anything else while keepting the Atmos data, and I have Atmos speakers, so I don’t want to lose that.)

95% of the movies in my library I’ll probably only watch once, so with no perceivable difference in quality, why have them take up so much room for zero visible benefit? There are probably a handful of favorites that I know I’ll rewatch and may keep those at the original quality to ensure I have the best possible version forever, but for the other 95%? Screw 'em! :man_shrugging:

For conversion, my HD movies are a no-brainer, I’m probably going to run all of those through Handbrake starting today. I was on the fence for my 4k rips, but I have A LOT (650+) so just those alone are taking up a ton of space (at an average of 60GB each that’s almost 40TB). Doing some test encodes for my 4k movies is how I found this issue with the weird frames. So I definitely won’t be converting those until I can figure out what the issue is!

Where are you at? I’ll pay you $3.00 dollars a movie! I myself, am trying to grab everything before everything is digital, through streaming services like Disney+ and Netflix blah…

I just hit 1036 movies today, I have been on this journey for just over three years, I currently have four plans through 3D blu ray rental! It was a sad day for me to watch Netflix dvd Service close its doors! :disappointed:

Yeah I hear you…I’ve tried to stay legal and only rip movies that I actually own, but it’s getting to the point where no shops are going to be selling them soon, and then it’ll be all second-hand on ebay.

I discovered AnyStream last week and that’s opened up a whole new universe of stuff that has never (and probably will never) be on disc. Google it! :wink:

OK, so here’s the thing, I used to collect movies on iTunes, and I’ve got something close to 1700 movies on there, but when I started really getting into Home Theater, The quality of a 4K movie or a Blu-ray movie versus the crap that you get off of iTunes, it just sucks…

But not just that Apple deletes movies all the time.

Apple will not let you download the file, and play that movie on anything else other than an Apple TV or a Mac mini or your iPhone, so I’ve already bought all these movies, I wasn’t going to repurchase them!

What type of server do you have?

I just ordered a storinator from 45Drives.com

I went with the Q30 you can have them build it, which will cost you an arm and leg! Or you can build it yourself.

Take a look at AnyStream for potentially getting a downloaded copy of your iTunes library!

I haven’t heard of 45drives before, interesting. I’m using a Synology NAS (I’ve got the RS2418+) since they’re pretty widely known and well supported. No complaints, other than starting to run out of storage space! They have an add-on unit that adds another 12 bays, but they don’t make it any more (although there are a couple of places where you can still get them new for around $2000). But at this point I might be better off on just getting a whole new system and just having another NAS on the home network (Infuse doesn’t care where the file actually live, everything gets combined in the Library). They keep improving the technology and it’d be nice to have the latest and greatest rather than adding on to an aging platform…

Yes, I’d recommend getting a new system over an expansion one. It doesn’t save you any money and like you said Infuse doesn’t care. Also, if you had everything on one giant system, and something were to happen to that system, you could lose a lot of data. Lastly, with new systems, it makes it easier to upgrade drive sizes.

1 Like

Oh man you need to check them out! Here’s a picture of what I purchased, so I’m literally waiting on it to come in right now!

I can’t wait!

But they have storage needs for all of your needs!

15 Bay

30 Bay

45 bay

60 bay

1 Like

Wow! Yeah Synology just added a “drawer full of drives” form factor as well! HD6500 | Synology Inc.

It costs $23,000 (without any drives). :frowning_face:

Trying to find the part of the thread you linked to (which I’ve been lurking in for a while) with suggested Handbrake settings. I’m wondering if your link above was to the wrong thread, or part of the thread?

That thread is approaching 2000 posts, you can go to the top and do a search in that thread for “hand brake” and find dozens of results that may get you what you’re looking for. :wink:

Yes, honestly I was hoping it was just a link to the wrong thread and there was one that was more focused on the topic.

haha Sorry, that was the thread I’ve been following full of people that are pretty nit picky about how their files look, and if they’re okay with Handbrake that’s good enough for me! The main suggestions I came away with were:

• h265 10-bit
  • Constant quality, no higher than 18 (smaller number is better)
  • Encoder Preset: at least Slow (but even slower if you have time)

And then for audio I just passthru everything to keep the original tracks, and passthru subtitles as well (no burning, just whatever the defaults were when I ripped the disc).

I’ve got an Nvidia 4070 card which lets me use the h265 10-bit (NVEnc) preset, which is something like 10-20x faster than having the CPU do it! There was some debate from older Reddit posts that the files created by NVEnc were slightly larger, but I don’t care about a few MB here or there.

I get around 300fps on the Slow preset letting the GPU do it! After some testing I eventually settled on a Constant Quality of 14 (slightly bigger file) and I have the preset set to “Slowest” (which leads to a slight smaller file than “Slow”).

I get 150-200fps on my 1080 encodes. I haven’t started on my 4Ks yet, I might keep them as-is for now as I had the weird frame stuttering issue mentioned in my first post with any files I transcoded through Handbrake. The Infuse team is supposed to be looking into it!

Here are all my settings from the various tabs (and luckily you can create a preset to default to these for you):

The most confusing part of creating a preset is defaulting to passthru for every kind of audio (except PCM, which for some reason Handbrake can’t passthru, so you have to give it something to transcode to, and I went with AC3 which is Dolby Digital):

That last option is “Auto Passthru” which passes through everything you checked at the upper right, but if it can’t passthru (PCM) then use the options after that (bitrate, mixdown, etc). In the few discs I’ve converted so far, I’ve only seen PCM as stereo tracks (commentary I’m guessing) so I set the default mixdown to Stereo.

I wonder if it is NVEnc specific issue. Maybe try x265 and see if you still have stuttering issue. I know it’s much slower but at least it would help you narrow down the issue.

Meaning higher number, right?

1 Like

Good point, I didn’t try doing a CPU-only encode because it was going to take multiple hours, but it would be nice to know if that eliminates another possible cause!

Correct, for h265 the smaller the number the better (higher quality). So you should set CRF between 1 and 18 somewhere.

1 Like

Thanks! This is very similar to the settings I’ve been using, though I don’t have the Nvidia option available as I’m on an Apple Silicon Mac. I need to sit down and experiment with the VideoToolbox (hardware acelertated on an mac) options and see what it’s like these days. Last time I played with it years ago I didn’t like the file size to quality trade offs, so I’ve stuck with software encoding for HD Blu ray discs, and DVDs.

Due to the time it takes with software encoding, and not being sure what settings to use for 4K (and until relatively recently not passing through HDR data), I’ve just stuck with the direct disc rips for my 4K files for now. But they are starting to take up,a lot of space!

I know there have been quite a few changes with the videotoolbox options, so I should look again. It is way faster.

1 Like

My daily driver is an M1 Macbook, and encoding on it was killing me! Luckily I have a PC here that I’ve been using as my Plex server, so I figured I’d give it a try and sure enough, it transcodes 10x faster, it’s been great. Network access speeds to the NAS are also like 2x faster on the PC…I dunno why it’s always so hard for Apple to get good networking speeds to other computers. :frowning:

For 4k transcodes, I was going to start with the same CRF as my 1080 ones and then see if maybe I can raise the number up a little bit and still keep the same perceptual quality… someone was suggesting 16-18 for 1080 and 22-24 for 4K. Which seems counter intuitive: you’d think you’d want less compression when you’re dealing with a bigger image, because it would be more noticeable, but maybe it comes down to a viewing distance thing again: if the image is 4x as dense then it’s that much harder to really notice a loss of fine detail.

But just like how I’ll probably watch most movies in my collection once and then never again, it’ll be the same for most of my 4Ks as well, so maybe I’ll just rip through them on the same settings (CRF 14) and keep the couple dozen favorites at the original quality. I can always go back to the original disc if I found that I made a mistake! Assuming dics rot doesn’t get them in the next 50 years. :grimacing:

I’d suggest to switch your fallback codec from AC3 at 320 kb/s to Opus at 192 kb/s for Stereo. Opus is hands down the best lossy audio codec and I’d go as far as to say you will not be able to tell it apart from the PCM track. It’s a minor thing but it will save you space (yes very little but if you transcode, why not do it the most efficient way) and provide higher quality than AC3. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like