Black Screen (Ugggg....)

I am running AppleTV 2.3, aTVFlash 3.4.4. (I updated to 3.4.4 yesterday).

The problem is a tough one, because it is not reproducable every time. However, SOMETIMES when I go to launch a DVD with NitoTV it just gives me a blank black screen. (btw, I used the Smart Installer to get menus to work and whatnot). If I immediately try it again (by hitting menu, going back and then clicking the same title again), it usually won’t work either. However, if I go play something in my regular AppleTV movies, then come back to NitoTV it usually works. Further, I always know that it will or won’t work because the screen kinda “flashes” and I see the apple logo, when it WORKS.

Initially I thought this was a problem with NitoTV, but yesterday when I updated to 3.4.4 I also added Boxee. The same behavior happens when I launch Boxee. ie, black screen no work…if I go play something then come back the screen will “flash” (and perhaps even show a bit of the finder) then work fine. So it appears to be a general problem launching certain types of applications?

Also: I can hear the dvd menu even when I just see a black screen. So perhaps it is working, but just in the background? Or the finder is screwed up somehow?

This isn’t a HUGE issue, as if I keep trying I can always get it to work, but it is VERY annoying.

-pj

Hi PJ,

You are right, this IS a HUGE issue. I am having exactly the same problems (see my last 2 posts in this forum) with a little more besides and the whole thing is driving me to distraction.

I purchased ATVFlash SOLELY for the reason that I thought I was going to be able to playback my digitised DVD collection!!

I have ripped all my DVD collection into ISO’s using ‘DVD Decrypter’ and have them on a NAS shared drived. However, the playback results are very random and yet they all work flawlessly using mPlayer under Windows. The main problem is that I don’t know how to find out why they are not working. I saw a post on here which showed mPlayer debug in console.log, but I have switched on mPlayer logging and nothing is written to console.log… unless of course I have managed to stumble across a different console.log!!

I wish somebody would put together a DVD playback HOWTO and a list of DO’s and DON’TS because there are so many issues surrounding DVD Playback.

Come on guys, help us iron out these annoying DVD issues :wink:
Regards,
Paul.

Yes, but that is my point. I don’t think it is a DVD issue at all. I think it is an “application launching” issue, with DVDPlayer being the app is this case. (Boxee is having the same troubles when launching)

-pj

Hi PJ,

I see what you are saying but I am seeing the same consistent failures!!

The same files will play, the same files will have nav issues, the same files will black screen and the same files will crash AppleTV… that says to me that it’s a file issue and that something in those ISO’s (beit a codec issue, a copy protection issue or whatever) is causing the playback to fail.

Either way, some proper testing needs to be done on DVD Playback… this is what I purchased ATV Flash specifically for!

Regards,
Paul.

The current workaround for this is setting Apple TV resolution to 1080i (the 2.3 Apple TV software caused a few issues with regards to 720p and 1080p, some of which are still being worked out). 720P and 1080P will work most, but not all the time.

Sorry for the trouble.

Hi,

Already tried that, the same behaviour is displayed no matter what the resolution is set at.

Regards,
Paul.

ehhhh, i’ll just wait then. Doesn’t make much sense for me, given that my tv is 720p…my picture would suffer. Whatever, glad to know you are on the issue.

-pj