Bilingual filenames metadata

I think I’ve read posts about this before and I saw this feature has been implemented like 2 weeks ago, but I can’t find those posts for some reason.

For example, this file is named with Russian-English titles, and Infuse still can’t recognize it.

Подросток. L’Adolescente (1979).mkv

You’re naming the file twice.

Name it either Подросток (1979).mkv, or name it L’Adolescente (1979).mkv.

Hence the name bilingual?

For example, if my native language is Japanese, I would name it JapaneseName.OriginalName.year.mkv.

Both of the filenames I suggested worked, even though my language is set to English.

When you name your files in the format NameInLanguage1.NameInLanguage2.year.mkv, this is exactly the same as naming a file NameInLanguage1.NameInLanguage1.year.mkv.

Periods are immediately discarded in filenames. They cannot serve as separators.

TMDB’s algorithm itself does not support searches made in this manner because it has no way to determine a users’ intent to have some specific search terms be interpreted as one random language while other specific search terms interpreted as some other language — and most importantly, that it should discard some subset of them.

Duplicating search terms in a single language often breaks the results — adding the same terms in multiple languages is certain to, because no TMDB titles (main, regional, or alternate) are recorded that way.

If you want to include titles in multiple languages, the only thing you can do is include the second language after the year:

Подросток (1979) L’Adolescente.mkv

In my experience, anything included after the release year when written exactly as above is discarded and does not break the search:

Example:

Title (Year) ''Original Title'' 4K DV 42gb

• filename includes double apostrophes in place of quotation marks

The algorithm searches only the terms in “Title” and filters results by “Year”. Nothing else is considered.

Unfortunately, that’s the naming convention for many non-English private trackers, both Slavic and Asian.

It’s hard to show you this because they are private, but see this review on M-TEAM tracker as an example. Scroll down to see their filenames.

This is just a random example. I’m not recommending anyone to join it. In fact, I’m not on it myself. If anyone decides to join a private tracker, note that buying or trading invites, such as on this website, violates the rules on almost all private trackers, and will get you banned.

I figured as much, since you have previously mentioned not being willing to rename files and breaking your torrents.

I’m just not certain that Infuse could ever accommodate this request because it would require an entire redesign of how the scraper works and require it to be given the ability to intuit which terms it needs to search for, and which terms to exclude.

These filenames are self-exclusionary — almost destined to break search results.

The only workaround I can think of is you adding alternative titles to TMDB’s listings that include all the terms listed prior to the year in the torrent’s name.

That would fix the issue of searches being self-exclusionary, but almost certainly run afoul of TMDB’s rules.

That’s a courageous idea :joy:.

What I have been doing is adding foreign names to the database, filling out translations for a few languages and adding posters/backdrops, etc.

Adding arbitrary bilingual names in a single string to TMDB is a step too far, even for me, because that’s not in the best interest of most TMDB users.

1 Like

I know this would work, and I have been naming everything like this for things that I own.

However there is another common format that I think can be handled properly in Infuse

Parasite AKA Gisaengchung 2019 some-encoding-tags.mkv

Perdita Durango AKA Dance with the Devil 1997 some-encoding-tags.mkv

If Infuse use regular expression to find AKA and discard everything before AKA and use everything between AKA and the year number to search on TMDB, it would work as if it’s not a bilingual filename.

To what end? You’d still be required to change the filenames and break your torrents.

Besides, AKA is a term used in lots of searchable titles.

AKA is commonly used by many official release groups. It’s not random. I don’t have to edit them.

For other releases that don’t follow this format, there is no good way to fix it if TMDB doesn’t support this type of search. Though, most search engines and sites support it.

Using the filename Подросток. L’Adolescente (1979).mkv gets the correct info automatically for me. :man_shrugging:

It does for me now, as well. But it didn’t yesterday. :thinking:

And this is why:

The Russian part of the name is no longer exclusionary, combined with the French.

That makes sense then.

If that title wasn’t listed on TMDB (as it was before) there is little chance Infuse would ever be able to match this properly.

1 Like

It worked!

Oh no, SandCat has been caught. :joy:

1 Like

There’s a guy over there going by “NYskydiver” but I assure you there’s absolutely no relation.

1 Like