Best speed between SMB and NFS?

Hi,
I would like to know, between SMB and NFS, who give the best speed with NAS synology ?

thx.

In theory NFS will be faster. It’s the streaming option with the lowest overhead, but not all devices support it.

It also has a lot more tunable settings and permissions, but the set up can be a bit more fiddly.

@James, for my QNAP NAS there are 2 options I can enable for NFS, v2/v3 or v4, which should I enable?, thanks.

v4 should work in most cases, but v2/v3 may be a safer option.

I’m running Synology NAS. I’ve been using SMB because that was the only option until now. I’d like to get rid of SMB but when I go to look at the available shares, I only see SMB and FTP. How do I connect to my NAS via NFS?

NFS is noticeably faster than SMB on my ATV4, especially when updating the Library and downloading new metadata.

Did you enable the NFS service on your NAS?

I can’t, for the life of me, get Infuse to see the NFS service once I enabled either version on my QNAP NAS.

On iOS if you add the share via “Available Shares” the SMB protocol is used.
You have to add the share manually via “Add Files…”, “From shared files” and there you can select NFS as protocol and have to enter the IP-Adress or DNS name manually.

This is from iOS, i don’t know is the setup process is exactly the same as on tvOS.
Also, i’ve used the german language version of Infuse so i had to translate the strings back to english for you - but you should get it going anyway.

Can anyone check whether NFSv4 works between a Synology NAS and iOS/tvOS? Can anyone confirm that it’s noticeably faster than SMB? Thanks!

Make sure you have the NFS permissions set properly for your shared folders. On my Synology, just turning on the NFS service wasn’t enough; I have do enable the NFS permissions for each folder I wanted to share via NFS.

First, I limited the share to the LAN IP only. I didn’t want my shares to be available to everyone on the 'net. Then I enabled “Map all users to admin”, “Allow users to access mounted subfolders”, and “Allow connections from non-privileged ports (ports higher than 1024).”

I haven’t enabled NFSv4 because NFSv2/3 is more stable and reliable in my experience. However, at least on my system, NFS is noticeably faster on with Infuse on both iOS and tvOS. With SMB, Infuse on my iPad would stutter during playback, but it doesn’t over NFS.

And on my ATV4, after doing a fresh install of Infuse and adding my shares, Infuse via NFS was so much faster at scraping the metadata and thumbnails for my movies and tv shows. It only took about 30 minutes to re-download all the metadata, etc. Before, with SMB, it took 2-3 hours. I wish Apple hadn’t switched to SMB because their implementation of SMB absolutely sucks balls.

After enabling NFS, you’ll also need to add specific folders to share.

I have a Synology, so here are the steps for that device - others should be similar.

1. Navigate to Control Panel > File Sharing > Shared Folder
  2. Highlight the folder you want to share via NFS
  3. Select Edit
  4. Under NFS Permissions select Create.

The attached screenshots may also help. :wink:

Thanks for the info! Are the settings in screenshot 2 the ones you’d recommend?

That’s what I’m using on mine, and it works well. However, depending on your network environment you may want to add some hostname limitations since NFS shares don’t require a username/password to log in. The settings in my screenshot basically allow anyone on your network to access the drive, read-only of course.

Mine is WD My Cloud, NFS is enabled by default, no need to manually change configure, set permission or enter IP, Infuse 5 auto-finds the same NAS by NFS and SMB.

I feel NFS is bit faster than SMB, on both video playback and big folder browsing.

But how can I find what NFS version my NAS uses?

Thanx James, NFS setup successfully and working. Best part is I can get rid of that annoying SMB from my Synology that clutters my (Path)Finder sidebar. Also noticeably faster.

I’m just wondering about the empty @eaDir folders that I see when using NFS with my Synology.
Will these be hidden in a future update?

This is a known issue with Synology. This guide may help with cleaning them up. http://www.coderzen.com/2015/03/12/how-to-stop-your-synology-nas-from-junking-up-your-directories-with-eadir-directories/

Thanks James for the fast reply; I’ve tried the command from the link you included. However the process with DSM 6.0.2x must be different.
Thanks for the tip though; I now know where to start looking.