Best NAS drove for streaming to AppleTV & PS3

Does any NAS drive allow streaming to an AppleTV with ATVFlash on (allows play of avi files)

does it have to be a particular spec? I have a PC at the moment which allows my AppleTV and PS3 (using PS3MS) to see a share on it. I basically want the same thing from a NAS drive

any suggestions on NAS? Basically need it to share folder to PS3 and AppleTV with ATV Flash installed

cheers

You will want to ensure it supports the SMB protocol. Other than that, any NAS should be just fine.

Sorry to repeat the question but does this mean if I plug my HD with all my media on it into the AirPort Extreme Base Station, would the ATV (with aTV flash installed) be able to see and access the media without having a computer running itunes on the network at the same time?

I have to disagree on the last remark, I’ve been struggling with LaCie NAS boxes for ever to get it streaming to my ATV, whatever settings or firmware I used, playback stayed choppy. I’ve replaced it with a Synology box and all is well, appears that buffersize in the NAS box (and buffersize on the disk for that matter) makes a world of difference.

just my 2c

I use a QNAP TS439-Pro with 4 x 1.5Tb 7200RPM drives which stream fine to the PS3, ATV and Atom based HTPC. The only time I have problems is when streaming high bitrate 1080p movies but that’s more of a CPU issue then anything else.

I’ve been using a D-Link DNS-321 NAS for more than a year. Some of the earlier versions of ATV caused me some headaches with wireless streaming. But with the more recent versions of the DNS-321 firmware and updates to ATV flash it’s been working like a charm. One suggestion for all NAS users is to organize your movie files in alphabetical folders (ie #ABC and DEF etc). It really helps reduce the time that the AppleTV takes to load the contents of your directories.

[quote="nogi"] I use a QNAP TS439-Pro with 4 x 1.5Tb 7200RPM drives which stream fine to the PS3, ATV and Atom based HTPC. The only time I have problems is when streaming high bitrate 1080p movies but that's more of a CPU issue then anything else. [/quote]

What ATV are you using? I'm getting a QNAP and deciding between ATV and PS3, would appeciate advice on which version of ATV if any?

When he posted in Feb.2010 there was only one atv. ;)