I have about a TB of movies and such synced to an external HD on my ATV. If I upgrade the ATV’s OS to 3.0 and then install ATV Flash again based on the update today, will I have to resync all of my media?
Ye yes…good question!
Lost all movies? or simple update?
I did the update, first switching to internal storage, updating to 3.0, installing ATV 4.0 and then switching to External storage again.
My media stayed on the external drive, but iTunes wouldn’t recognize it (just showing 700GB of “other”) and the AppleTV didn’t either - so I ended up having disconnect the drive, format it and are now in the progress of re-syncing 700GB of movies and TV-shows :evil:
That’s not what ATV Flash promised would happen :evil: :evil: :evil:
And i DID use the new method for external drives introduced with ATV 3.6.4 (I actually had to re-sync the same 700GB back then to switch from the old to the new method - in hopes that I wouldn’t have to do it for future upgrades like this one)
I’m happy that they got the update out so quickly, by a warning would have been nice
That is something I am just not willing to go through at the moment. Way too much time has gone into getting the library over there.
The process for updating the AppleTV to 3.0, and installing aTV Flash 4.0 is as follows:
- Remove all copies of aTV Flash (folders, files, everything) from your computer.
- Download a fresh copy here: https://www.atvflash.com/account.php
- Format the flash drive to be used as described here: http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Reformat_Flash_Drive
- Update AppleTV to 3.0 through Settings > General menu. (Note: Updates may need to be enabled through the Maintenance > Settings menu.)
- Install aTV Flash as before. The current 4.0 version will be installed, and will overwrite the outdated version that is on the AppleTV.
If you’re using an external drive as primary iTunes storage you need to add these steps:
- Before updating AppleTV to 3.0, switch to internal storage through Maintenance > Settings menu (synced media on external drive will not be changed)
- Update AppleTV to 3.0
- Install aTV Flash 4.0
- Run Smart Installer to enable USB port. http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Smart_Installer
- Change storage back to external drive. The media that was previously synced to the external drive will be recognized so you won’t need to resync all your media over again.
Followed the instructions to the letter, my apple tv just sits with the Apple Log showing and it blinks every two or three seconds.
I did it and it worked. Nice surprise. Well done.