Banding ATV 21 - Latest Infuse

Hi everyone, I’ve been noticing this problem for a while, and now I finally wanted to create a topic about it.

I’ve noticed that I keep seeing banding when playing on AppleTV with Infuse. when comparing with Infuse on macOS or another player, it doesn’t occur. unfortunately, I don’t have another player to test it directly on the TV.

I play directly from the nas. matching content and frame rate is on.

here are the details of the file. I will attach photos.
(this looks much worse in the photos than it is, but the banding is very visible)

Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4
File size                                : 77.2 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 22 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 77.3 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2023-01-19 11:13:44
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v73.0.0 ('25 or 6 to 4') 64-bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.4.4 + libmatroska v1.7.1

Video
ID                                       : 1
ID in the original source medium         : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 2 h 22 min
Bit rate                                 : 71.3 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.359
Stream size                              : 71.1 GiB (92%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 661 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 207 cd/m2
Original source medium                   : Blu-ray```

Hi. Tell me the name of this movie. I’m trying to drive it on my several Apple 4K TVs, see how it will be. And, if it’s not difficult, tell me the timings on which the photos are shown.

Hey, the movie is Alienoid (2022).

The first one is right at the beginning. 00:00:53 to 00:01:10.

The second example is a little further on 00:02:26 to 00:02:29

Thank you.

edit: You can see it best in a darkened room.

1 Like

Ок. I found this movie in the same form as yours.
As soon as it is uploaded to my NAS server, I will watch it in the home theater, just a darkened room.

The last question. Are you watching it on a 4K HDR/DV enabled device? Or is there an HDR to SDR conversion going on?

I’m curious to see what it looks like for you. I’m watching it on an AppleTv connected to an HDR/DV capable LG G3 TV. HDR is also triggered. All “improvements” to the picture are off. No conversion takes place.

If this file is playing correctly on Mac, but not on Apple TV it may be related to an HDMI cable or TV settings issue.

The Rtings recommend settings guide has some good info on the best settings to use as a starting point. One thing to note is these settings apply to a specific HDMI port and content type, so you can have different sets of settings for the LG’s internal player, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc… and content type (SDR, HDR, and Dolby Vision).

For example, settings for HDMI 1 SDR can be different than HDMI 1 HDR, or HDMI 2 Dolby Vision.

To ensure you are adjusting the correct settings, you will want to ensure you are using the exact HDMI input and the TV is in the content mode (EG HDR) you want to adjust.

1 Like

I did tests of all three generations of Apple TV 4K.
I used several sources: LG OLED, Samsung LED and a projector.
There were no problems with banding in any of the options.

Check if HDMI Extended Range is enabled in your TV settings ( HDMI Deep Color).
If enabled and still a problem. So try changing the HDMI cable.

In the AppleTV settings you also need to select either 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 modes.

1 Like

hello, thank you for your comments.

my TV is set according to the recommended settings. speaks for each format (sdr, hdr, dv) any influence of the TV on the picture is disabled.

i also tried a more expensive HDMI cable today, it looks exactly the same. maybe i’m a bit picky.

the effect is not visible with every movie and every gradient, it can be seen from time to time with a few movies.

maybe the tv is just like that.

edit: I tried plex and it looks exactly the same, so it’s not an infuse problem.

1 Like

Maybe try VLC?

1 Like

One other thing to try is to set the Chroma option on the Apple TV (found in Settings > Video and Audio) to 4:2:0 instead of 4:2:2. In the past there have been some reports of 4:2:2 chroma output leading to issues with certain setups.

Note: Be sure the Apple TV is in HDR video mode before adjusting the Chroma option.

1 Like

thanks for the tips.

vlc is an option for me, I need the nice interface.

I have just tried out the various chroma settings. (I didn’t realize that chroma can be set per dynamic range on appletv) it didn’t change anything.

but i have to say again that it doesn’t look as terrible as in the photos. the iPhone has really made it worse.

it has slight banding. which i thought wouldn’t actually occur with such high bitrate materials. but i also did some googling and apparently it happens more often with lg oleds.

What I also have to say is that maybe sometimes it’s also the movie.

in the example i shared above, if you zoom in a little you can also see banding on macOS. (when I turn the brightness all the way up)

i can imagine that it is simply more visible on the lg g3, which can reach 1500 nits, than on the display of a MacBook m1, which can only reach 400 nits.

Did you test VLC to see if it exhibited the same banding? I’m not saying to switch over to VLC permanently, just to test and see if it too has the same outcome.

1 Like

yes, i tried it. vlc didn’t even trigger HDR on tv. strange, but maybe i didn’t set some setting.

another thing I tried is Plex directly on the TV as an app to exclude appletv, and it also had slight banding on certain sequences.

Another thing I noticed with House of Dragon E1 is that there is also banding in one sequence, but only in motion (camera panning), when I press pause, the banding is gone in the still image.

if anyone is interested, I can share the time in the episode, you can test it in your setup. :slight_smile:

Vlc Can’t play HDR/DV.

ah, then it’s understandable why it didn’t trigger HDR. :smiley:

here is the House of Dragon example. when the video is running, the woman has banding on her cheek. when i press pause, the color gradient on her cheek looks great. (on the iPhone video everything looks terrible, it intensified it a lot) but I think the difference is visible. HoD S1E1 00:01:25 to 00:01:28. if anyone would like to try it, please let me know how it looks on you. :slight_smile:

even if it looks bad on the video, trust me, in the paused playback the picture looks perfect.