AVI files really Choppy When Airplayibg

Let me start off by saying I have been a fan of firecore for years. I’ve purchased all of your great products.

The issue I’m running into is that AVI files are really choppy when pulling file from NAS and Airplaying to my ATV 2. All other files play great. Is this a bug or do I need to change something in my AVI files

I have had similar experiences and given feedback.  It appears than non h.264 files are problematic and don’t use ‘native’ airplay.  *.avi is a rather vintage windows format, so my not be encoded with h.264, so might be worth transcoding with something like handbrake as an experiment.

I’m going to do the same thing.  Unfortunately (if this is the case) the problem with avi being so ubiquitous, most of my collection is in this format!

After a little experimenting last night, I can confirm that h.264 encoded mp4, m4v etc work fine (particularly the mp4) even handling HD with ease. Mkv can be temperamental, particularly with HD and audio codecs, so would also benefit with conversion.

Avi is a very old microsoft format, which although widespread, isn’t really universal.  Looks like we may have some video conversions to do.  I highly recommend Handbrake and setting up a queue.

Tis a shame though, infuse boasts it’s able to handle a wide range of video format, unfortunately, it’s not obvious how well they all perform!