I did submit an email through the web site. Got a new download URL. Did not work.
So I am smarter than the average bear. I did a show package contents, and to my surprise it is a executable JAR behind it all. Being a Java Developer myself, I understood what was going on. I executed the JAR file and the app actually started for me. It lets me select my thumb drive, and downloads the latest ATV image, then gives me a message about have the application installed in the Applications Directory or something to that effect.
I am lead to believe that it is not an issue with the app, but some environment issue with the JavaApplicationStub, which I assume is a shell script that executes the Jar file.
I hope I didn’t give anything away, but I hope this helps diagnose the issue.