ATV2 My Failures and Success

I had a number of failed attempts to JB, and thought I would post to let others know how I ended up with success.

I bought a used ATV2 with 4.4.4 a couple of days ago. It worked fine.  Today I tried to JB using the instructions at http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-jailbreaking-101-seas0npass

I had repeated failures. I would go through the whole process as described and end with an unknown error (14).  I tried changing the USB ports and USB cables with no success.

I finally gave it a break.  My ATV had a rapidly flashing light.  This didn’t seem like a good thing. I tried to use my ATV.  I got the screen telling me to connect with a USB to iTunes. Yikes!

I then tried to restore to the most current Apple firmware, un-jailbroken.  My attempt took a long time and ended with a 1602 error.  It appeared that I couldn’t get the Apple firmware to install. Double yikes.

In a bit of despair I tried again, but with the power cable plugged in.  Again the attempt took a long time and ended with a 1602 error. But this time there was no rapidly flashing light.  I hooked the ATV up to my TV and it worked with the Apple 5.1 firmware.

I then tried the JB again, this time with the power cable plugged in. Again the attempt took a long time and ended with a 1602 error. But again there was no rapidly flashing light.  I hooked the ATV up to my TV. It worked and the FC icon was there.

I think I have success.

Now to see what I can install.

You ended with a 1602 because the power cable was in. When the power cable is in the device will boot in the last stage instead of going back into Recovery Mode to be verified. 

Hi MexiCanuck,

It seems that older ATV2s need the power cord connected to allow it to enter DFU mode. I have JB’ed many ATV2s and most work with only the micro USB cable but I have one, which was the first ATV2 I ever bought, that requires the power cord connected before starting the DFU entry steps. It’s quite annoying.

Hi Matty,

Does anyone know if this is a ATV2 H/W limitation on earlier ATV2s? Or can I upgrade something to make is work like the other ATV2s that I have.

Regards.

Even if you have you use the Power cable to get into DFU mode, you should be able to remove it before doing the Restore in iTunes. This avoids getting an error at the end of the Restore.