ATV tvOS Audio Passthrough

Would it be possible to have audio (e.g. DTS:X) pass through on the Apple TV instead of the ATV encoding the sound before ?

I suspect that (L)PCM is processed differently on output devices than if the audio format comes in unencoded and the receiver encodes the sound itself.

For my LG soundbar there are, among other things, settings for DTS:X. But there is no way to use this because the sound can never be recognized as DTS:X.

In my opinion the sound settings on the ATV are not sufficient. There should definitely be a “passthrough” option, and not just the ability to choose between auto with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital 5.1.

This needs to be made possible by Apple, nothing the infuse developers can do about it. People have requested this feature for years, best thing you can do is request the feature from Apple directly I guess.

Thanks for your answer.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to do this via a 3rd party app. But I already thought that Apple wouldn’t allow any intervention.

There are countless posts in many forums in which users request this, but Apple is stubborn and doesn’t change it.

Apple doesn’t want to pay for licensing to support pass through

1 Like

It’s really poor if that’s all it is.