aTV Black 2.0 Beta Feedback

I’ve been running the betas (ty!) for about a week now, I checked both emails I received from you and I don’t see a way to provide feedback so I’m going to put it here. If you’d prefer me put it somewhere else just let me know.

1. Library View for Movies - AWESOME. So awesome, literally nothing but good feedback on this one. The only suggestion I could make here is I really like the Netflix way of browsing, where you get a scrollable strip for genres or sub-genres. I know some people don’t like that UI, but I think it would make a nice addition to your Library view.

2. Library Settings - VERY AWESOME. Love the batch import meta data, and it does an amazing job at it. Every file I have that I’d normally have to reload to find the right match I don’t have to do anymore. It get’s it right the first time!

3. Library View for TV Shows - … not so good. This may just be personal preference, but I don’t like having all my shows in one big view. What if you added the ability to tag movies or shows, then use the tags as categories like genres? This would solve my issue, I prefer to keep my anime separate from regular shows. A tagging system would let you create your own categories so you could mimic the movie functionality of first selecting a genre (“tag”) then browsing grids.

4. Library View for TV Show Episodes - please make this list view. Browsing a grid of thumbnails w/o cover art doesn’t look pretty. It would be awesome if it did a smart switch, where if >90% of the results where folders it would use Grid view, and if >90% of the list are files it would use List view. This would cover almost any setup with the best view for the folders/files inside it.

5. Possible bug: Not sure if it’s always been like this, but recently I’ve been having a lot of internet issues and while troubleshooting with my ISP I’ve had to restart my modem several times. Most of the time it will assign a new IP for my desktop (that has the HD my Apple TV is streaming from) which wipes out all my saved settings. Doing a restore from backups doesn’t work either as it restores back to the original IP. It seems all the settings are tied to the share’s IP and not it’s name so I have to set folder views and content types over again. Is there anyway to fix that?

6. Possible bug or NYI: The TV / movie covers the Library scan pulls down are awesome! So awesome I want to delete all the folder.jpg’s I’ve been using on previous versions. When I go into a folder, set it’s content type, delete it’s folder.jpg’s and reload I don’t see covers at all, just grey folders. Is it possible to implement the cover scraping the Library is using in the favorites section as well? Or better yet have a Library scan also update my favorites?

Overall very impressed, great job to all those involved and can’t wait to see the finished product!

[edit] This is feedback for Beta 2. [/edit]