Atmos 7.1 demos not working on Apple TV 4k

Thanks for testing this. That is exactly what I’m trying to figure out. Those files show that they have Atmos data in the DD+ track, but somehow the output doesn’t include any.

I’m not sure if the channel limit is the reason here… as far as I had understood, Atmos for DD+ is meta data sent apart from the standard channel data. But I lack both the detail knowledge and the tools here to dig any deeper here.

Got the new AppleTV 14.2 beta so my atmos is working again. I tested the problematic files on the AppleTV with a few players (plex, emby, mrmc) and they all don’t recognize dd+ atmos. they don’t play on the nvidia shield with bitstreaming and with multiplayers on the Apple so I’m going to say that the file are encoded improperly.

One thing to note is all of the streaming service content that has atmos (iTunes, Disney, Netflix) is all Dolby digital plus 5.1

I haven’t been able to find anything that says 7.1 won’t work…
https://developer.dolby.com/technology/dolby-audio/dolby-digital-plus/

Well, just tried to play the demo videos on my Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Blu-ray player selecting the 7.1 DD+ audio track and they all played with Dolby Atmos, so the encoding is OK. But Infuse cannot play Them as Dolby Atmos when selcting the DD+ track.

@James, are you investigating this ? It looks like a bug in Infuse not being able to playback Atmos in DD+ 7.1

We’ve looked deeper into this.

Infuse is handling the audio stream correctly, but unfortunately it appears the Atmos implementation on Apple TV does not currently support the Atmos in this particular audio stream.

Similar issues can be seen when using the Computers app.

1 Like

OK. thanks for your reply, James.
So this means that Infuse / Apple TV 4K has some limitations when playing atmos from DD+ Audio track.

Yes, there are many flavors of Dolby Atmos (and Dolby Vision) and the Apple TV supports a few, but not all.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.