Apple TV Quick Media Switching

So you already have a TV capable of this?

I do, and it’s working :slightly_smiling_face:

Yup, I saw that, was just wondering if @Christian1979 had purchased one since he’s been looking.

1 Like

No I currently use an Sony A90J, but I hope Sony will implement QMS in one future TV Model as well, and then I will „upgrade“ my TV :wink:

But I have noted James should please correct this Behavior in Infuse that we (and myself in the future) can use QMS with Infuse properly :wink::+1:

@james
Hey James :wink:
Could you please fix the Start with activated QuickMediaSwitching (QMS VRR), so Start/End are equal (same length)?
:wink::+1:

Dude, don’t spam James, we’ve tagged him several times already!

3 Likes

I’m sure if you sent him a 75" new TV with this capability to keep and test on he’d probably move it up in the que a bit. :wink:

Or you could send me a 65" with that capability and I’ll suggest to James he look into it sooner.
:clown_face: :rofl:

4 Likes

I love ya, man, but let’s let him get all that awesome 7.5.x UI stuff done first.

And do you even own the TV yet??

1 Like

You’re right :sweat_smile:
But I’m a little worried that this Topic will get „lost in the shuffle“ as has happened before with other important things. Because we often get no answer if James noticed the Information or not :blush:

QMS is one of the most important Features for me personally. Since the beginning, when it was first mentioned, I’ve been on it. I don’t currently have a compatible TV (because I’m waiting for Sony to integrate it in a future Model, I don’t won’t to switch to LG), but until then it is important that QMS works properly in Infuse.

Well, I’ll stay on the ball with this Topic. Have done this for so many years with other things and never given up :rofl::+1:

2 Likes

Has there been any public commitment made to UI changes?

Can you point us to some examples that illustrate how RGB high is better on the apple tv? I’ve never heard about it so far.

Always.

Check out the pinned thread here.

I’m confused by this statement, since RGB is usually used by computers with computer-specific RGB monitors while YCbCR was developed for televisions and used with digital media designed to be watched on televisions.

Many high-res panels might accept both signals as they can be used as large computer monitors but I don’t see the benefit to using RGB with content not encoded in that color space. Calibrate the system and there shouldn’t be accuracy issues?

It’s just something I’ve seen knocking around forums for years, that the YCbCr mode is bugged and not fully accurate, on all generations of Apple TV 4K.

There’s a lot of talk about it here: Apple TV owners' thread. FAQ in first post | AVS Forum

And Vincent Teoh of HDTV Test tweeted about it a while ago: https://www.avforums.com/attachments/b2df2711-a241-41dc-9af9-b41abfce8776-png.1528030/

I’ve done some comparisons myself, there’s a very slight difference, especially when you look at white, but it’s not noticeable in day to day use.

1 Like

See my comment above.

See above.

That’s something I considered when I saw this:

It sounded to me that if someone needs to take a photograph of their screen to see an issue (as opposed, to, you know, looking at their screen) … they’re looking too hard.

1 Like

There are things that bother one person and not the other. But it also annoys me that Apple often ignores such things instead of fixing them.

I’m also very sensitive about certain things, but it’s often a losing battle to try to convince Apple or anyone else to fix certain little things.

2 Likes

I describe myself as an individual who likes things to work a very particular way and goes to great lengths the customize my work environments and software environments for what I consider “optimal efficiency” — but this is all dependent on how my unique brain works and I admit my changes might not make much sense to others from the outside. I have very strong OCD reactions when my environment is not setup and functioning in the way I’ve accustomed it.

This does not mean I don’t often change elements of my environment as different tasks make me aware of ways I can be even more efficient.

I also fully admit that if all the time I spent troubleshooting and performing research and experimenting with different add-ons and writing my own to help me configure and maintain my environments in their “peak efficiency” was instead spent simply working in someone else’s generic environment, I’d probably be able to get just as much work done overall :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:.

I do suppose I gain the benefit of no one else on the planet being able to step up to my computer and do anything useful with it — nothing works as expected from the keyboard keys to the mouse buttons and gestures and moving windows to the way those and a multitude of other things change from application to application. It all makes perfect sense to me, though. :wink:

And this is why my PC is a not a Mac.

Apple does not like it when users try to go their own way on everything from UI elements to software permissions.

I’ve learned to accept these often bizarre limitations …

[how is it in 2023 my iPhone homescreen is still limited to a 4 wide app-icon grid that can’t have empty spaces and only allows you to relocate apps one at a time in the absolutely most inconvenient of ways?!]

… on my iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV (especially) because there is a lot to be credited for the relatively robust user-centric device security they provide and the absolute lack of advertising on my AppleTV homescreen and its apps.

As a result, I’ve come to learn that a lot of the things I see as bugs, Apple sees as “features”.