Apple TV no longer syncs with iTunes: iTunes 10

My Apple TV is no longer a member of my iTunes application on my paired computer. I have reinstalled iTunes 10 and attempted to repair the Apple TV several times, which ends in the Apple TV doing its job with the random number on the TV screen and my computer picking its nose as if the Apple TV doesn't exist. I recently downloaded several movies and some music on my computer and would like to sync it, however, I fear that if I reset to factory specs on my Apple TV, I may lose everything else on the hard drive and never get it back.

Is there any fix to this? I have read many forums on the Apple website regarding no legacy Apple TV support on iTunes 10, although it worked fine for me for at least a couple syncs, and then just quit out of the blue. If there is no fix, is there any way I could simply transfer content from my computer to my Apple TV via external but have it saved on the Apple TV driver (I don't have even half the 160GB filled yet)? I realize I could move to external storage, but that seems very premature and like a lot of work just because Apple has decided it no longer supports yesterday's great idea.

Thank you in advance.

I have a 160GB Apple TV, running 3.0.2 and the latest ATV Flash.