Apple TV 4K + Jellyfin = HDR not working

I own a number of 4K UHD BD movies that I’ve digitized and put on my Jellyfin server. I’m running Infuse 6 on an Apple TV 4K connected to an Epson 5050UB projector. Infuse shows the movie as “4K HDR”. However, when I play it, I only get SDR (as reported by my projector). I confirmed that HDR works fine in Netflix and Disney+, so this seems to be an Infuse specific problem. I searched around the web and some people suggested restarting the Apple TV. I did that but it did not help. I also tried playing several different 4K HDR movies from my Jellyfin server, all with the same results.

Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate are both turned on in Settings.

Any ideas?

Can you run one of these files through MediaInfo (download for Mac - PC) and post the specs.

Note: You can copy/paste the output when selecting the 3rd tab in MediaInfo.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 10.48.12 AM

Apologies for the late reply. The notification ended up in my Spam folder somehow, just now saw it. The Windows version’s GUI doesn’t look like your screenshot. The tabs are vertical. I picked the 3rd tab from the top (Export in a customized format), and it saved a text file. Here are the contents:

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main@L5@Main
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 1 h 50 min
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 1 600 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant

Thanks for the specs!

This appears to be an 8-bit video with a BT.2020 color profile…which isn’t really correct for HDR.

Since it looks like you made this in Handbrake, I’d recommend switching from 8-bit to 10-bit for future encodes.

Thanks James. Did some research, apparently Handbrake’s pipeline is still 8-bit in the current version (1.3.3). 10-bit support is planned for the next major version (1.4), but it’s a major change and they have no ETA for it right now.

This should actually be available in the current version under the Video Encoder setting located in the Video tab.

Hi James, unfortunately Handbrake’s internal pipeline is still 8-bit, so choosing 10-bit in the encoder settings does not work. More info here:

Here’s the actual enhancement request in Handbrake’s Github:

You can see that one of the HandBrake developers updated it 5 days ago and added it to the list of enhancements slated for version 1.4.0, but no ETA right now.

1 Like

8 bit is not HDR so that tells me Infuse should not be showing the movie as “4K HDR”.

I agree.

Handbrake JUST added 10-bit pipeline support in their nightly build in the last couple of days, but I have not had a chance to try it out yet.

This is true, however for media servers like Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin Infuse is relying on the codec info provided by the media server instead of generating itself from the actual files.

This means edge case issues like this can pop up from time to time. However, this only affects the info display in Infuse - playback of the actual files will be correct.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.