Apple TV 4K 2021 and Infuse / HDR problem

I installed my Apple 4K 2021 last night and have been having some issues with playback of 4K HDR in Infuse 7.

HDR movies look washed out and the blacks are now greys. They played fine on Infuse 7 on my old Apple TV 4K, with great contrast. I’ve checked my HDMI cable and Apple TV says it’s good, and all my TV UHD settings are correct. The TV is reporting that playback is in HDR, but something is not right. The same file played in Plex plays correctly with HDR and proper blacks.

I’ve tried everything I can think of, checked all my TV, receiver, Infuse and Apple TV settings and nothing has changed the washed out image. There are some other (not related) issues on the new Apple TV 4K 2021 (such as it reporting HD playback for Netflix and Disney+) and Plex app playback is not happy, so maybe it’s something that Apple need to fix.

Any ideas what might be causing the washed out HDR in Infuse?

What are you video settings ?

Do you have match content and match frame rate on?

Sounds like your display is treating the output of the new ATV4k differently.

It’s set to 4K SDR 60hz on the Apple TV, with both the Match Frame Rate and Match Content on. The same HDR files are playing fine (but stuttering) in the Plex app, with a noticeable difference in HDR and contrast. The Chroma is set to 4:4:4.

I’ve tried tinkering with all these settings to no avail, same result.

Is this happening with all HDR videos?

Can you run one of these videos through MediaInfo and post the detailed specs here?

You might also try resetting the Apple TV’s video settings, and then re-enabling the Match Content options. Sometimes this can resolve weird issues like this.

It’s doing it with all HDR videos that I can see, I tried a few and all look similarly dark and lacking contrast. Videos played through Plex, or streamed via Apple TV+, Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ all look fine in HDR with the right contrast and brightness – the issue seems confined to Infuse. The Speed Test for the Plex share shows a consistent 900Mbps throughput, so no real bottleneck there either.

I did try resetting the video settings, and numerous restarts. I’ve even restarted my Plex Server too. No harm in resetting the video settings again though, maybe it’ll work this time.

Here’s the specs for Blade Runner 2049:

Complete name : Blade Runner 2049 (2017).mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 29.6 GiB
Duration : 2 h 43 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 25.9 Mb/s

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate : 15.6 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 1 600 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.106
Stream size : 17.9 GiB (60%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 457 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 179 cd/m2

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 597 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 5 022 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 5.25 GiB (18%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Number of dynamic objects : 11
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE

The file has been playing perfectly on Infuse 7 on my previous Apple TV 4K, no issue.

Saying that, I haven’t seen anyone else on these forums describing an issue like this, so it must be something unique to my particular set-up and settings. Something in my set-up doesn’t want to play nice with Infuse…

Did you try the calibrate display with your iPhone? If you did it could be causing issues… And you might want to turn it off.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did have the calibration set previously. I reset it but the issues persist.

I experimented by taking my receiver out of the chain and plugging the Apple TV directly into the TV – suddenly the HDR videos play fine and as they should.

So I guess my receiver (a Denon X2700h system) is not liking the signal being sent from the Apple TV and Infuse. I will investigate further and try different connections and settings. The receiver is only a few months old and should work fine, but maybe it’s having an issues with the new Apple TV HDMI 2.1 implementation. The receiver worked perfectly with the previous Apple TV and Infuse / HDR videos.

1 Like

Looks like the issue was the HDMI input on the Denon. I had the previous Apple TV plugged into the HDMI 2.1 input on the Denon, which was overkill but didn’t cause any issues. Now that the Apple TV is actually HDMI 2.1 it doesn’t seem to want to play with the actual 2.1 input. Plugging into one of the HDMI 2.0b inputs has restored the Apple TV and Infuse videos to glorious proper HDR with brightness and contrast.

I’ve heard that these Denons have a buggy HDMI 2.1 implementation, perhaps this is being caused by that bug. Anyway, thanks for all the help!

1 Like

My Denon has an “enhanced” mode for HDMI.

I found if I enabled it my BDP got buggy but my ATV always seemed to like it.

I’m glad you sorted it. Infuse 7 has been perfection on my 2017 and now my 2021 ATV4K.

1 Like

Nice. Mine just shipped from Costco today. I have a denon 6500, so no HDMI 2.1, so not sure if I will plug into the tv directly or not. I don’t think anything can play 4K 120 so there’s no advantage at the moment.

Hi !

I’m getting issues too with Infuse 7 on my ATV4K 2021. The TV does not recognize HDR/DV signal from my videos (UHD BRays, MP4 files etc …) while it was working great with old Gen ATV4K. HDR & DV from Netflix is perfectly sent …

Settings are exactly the same on both ATVs. What can I do ?

LePousson

Are you using the same hdmi port? This is usually caused by the hdmi port you plug into not being set as enhanced/extended/DeepColor.

At now, Netflix, Prime Video or Disney+ sends HDR/DV perfectly while Infuse v7 is totally unable to use the HDR/DV metadata (the TV doesn’t switch to HDR or DV mode).

I tried to uninstall and re-install Infuse but no more luck …

I don’t know what to do :’(

PS: It worked like a charm on my old ATV4K and last Infuse v6 …

LePousson

Is the new Apple TV using the same cables/ports as the old Apple TV?

Can you try the following

1. Reset video settings in Apple TV > Settings > Video and Audio
  2. Ensure both Match Content options are enabled
  3. Run the ‘Check HDMI Connection’ feature
  4. Play a video in Infuse

If the issue persists, running one (or more) of the video files through MediaInfo and posting the detailed specs here may shed some light on what is going on.

Hi James …

1. Reset Video Settings ==> OK
  2. Both Match Content options checked ==> OK
  3. Run “Check HDMI Connection” ==> OK (it says it looks fine)
  4. Play a file with v7 ==> NOK

I still do not get any HDR Output (HDR Video is played in SDR :pensive:)

I’m using the same cable but on a new port on the AVR (had to change ports because of another device change).

I can admit that the cable is defective but why then would it accept to play HDR/DV videosd from Prime Video. Netflix or Disney+ ??

Thanks in advance to help !!

LePousson

PS : Below is the MediaInfo data from one HDR File (a famous demo, LG CHESS)

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : X:-- ULTRA HD 4K --\59.94\LG_Chess_HDR.mp4
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 842 MiB
Duration : 1 min 53 s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 62.0 Mb/s
FileExtension_Invalid : ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty

Video
ID : 257 (0x101)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : 36
Duration : 1 min 52 s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Writing library : ATEME Titan KFE 3.7.3 (4.7.3.1001)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0500 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

Audio
ID : 258 (0x102)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Format version : Version 4
Muxing mode : ADTS
Codec ID : 15-2
Duration : 1 min 52 s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy

Are you able to try the new Apple TV with the old port, or the old Apple TV with the new port?

60fps HDR can exceed the capabilities of some ports/devices where as 24fps HDR will work fine.

Very hard to test either the new ATV old port or the old ATV on new port as the old ATV is now set up in another room, and as the AVR is back in its storage shelf and can’t be accessed easily…

I may try to re-install last Infuse v6 just to check if it works (at least for HDR), what u think ??

LePousson

You can try it, but I don’t expect a meaningful difference between v6 and v7.