Apple TV 4 and .iso files

Wrote with the Lead developer of VLC, and according to him it comes down to, quote:“the App Store ToS and the GPLv2 are incompatible as freedoms of latter are not granted to the user.”

Some facts:

1. PlayerXtreme on the App Store supports .iso
  2. Infuse for the Apple TV2 already supports .iso.

Yes, my OPPO Blu-ray plays back .iso (as long as I don’t upgrade to the newest firmware) :wink:

.iso and VIDEO_TS directory, I backup all my purchased DVDs to RAID

Then the Apple TV is not for you. I don’t know why people seem to have such a hard time with this. In my opinion Apple won’t allow disk image playback on the ATV ( a jail broken ATV2 doesn’t count). If it happens then fine but I wouldn’t buy an ATV4 expecting it to happen. There are plenty of unofficial Android TV boxes from China that would better suit the needs of someone for whom disk playback is important. As far as Infuse is concerned, I would rather they not include that capability as it would only delay the app being made available.

Then the Apple TV is not for you. I don’t know why people seem to have such a hard time with this. In my opinion Apple won’t allow disk image playback on the ATV ( a jail broken ATV2 doesn’t count). If it happens then fine but I wouldn’t buy an ATV4 expecting it to happen. There are plenty of unofficial Android TV boxes from China that would better suit the needs of someone for whom disk playback is important. As far as Infuse is concerned, I would rather they not include that capability as it would only delay the app being made available.[/quote]

Hey! Apple does allow .iso playback, some apps can do it.
I can understand you want infuse to be released soon, but you have to consider that .iso is something that infuse users want to be implemented

iOS doesn’t support image playback nor all kinds of other video files ( Aviv, DivX, flash, …). So even if you could sneak it by Apple the decoding would have to be in software which doesn’t sound appealing. The Apple TV isn’t going to turn into Kodi or a Popcorn Hour. Apple has to be careful not to alienate content owners. I still prefer that Firecore concentrate on other issues rather than waste time on a zillion codecs and containers.

I am part of the beta and I can tell you Firecore is non-committal on .iso. So probably don’t hold your breath.

I have to disagree on why content owners would have a problem with a service that supports .iso. They have no less reason to be up in arms about .mkv, .avi, and other file formats. There are plenty of formats that can carry multiple audio tracks, DTS and DD, plus full HD video. Adding a menu doesn’t do much to change the dynamic. Moreover plenty of home videos, like the tribute video made for my mother’s funeral have menus and I have it saved as .iso so I never lose it due to a scratched disc. I simply cannot see content owners being substantially more threatened by .iso files than other file formats.

I already have an ATV4 and fire core Beta; so it is for me!

If you didn’t want to wait you should have joined the Beta program.

Just use HandBrake to rip an ISO to MKV or M4P, keep the ISO and publish the video file.

I know, but I have many files to convert, so I rather wait, I know Firecore will make it happen?

Please add the iso player function!!!

If you build it, they will come!

[quote=Cj2hS]Hi!
Is there any chance to play .iso files (DVD and Blu-ray) through a dedicated app on the Apple TV?
Thanks!!

I hope that Infuse sometimes in the future will support ISO files, because it’s the best app for movies, but right now I use MrMc for ISO files.

Looks like some .iso support WILL appear in 5.2 as it is now working in the latest beta :).

Initial release appears to be limited to DVD .iso files but that is a good start! Also at this moment (like the VIDEO_TS support)
it only plays the main item and does not give you the DVD menu.

ISO/IMG support is available in today’s 5.2 update. :smiley:

Will there be any chance of Blu-ray ISO support in the future?

In progress. :wink:

Awesome looking forward to it.

Are there any news for ISO support? And ISO file with 3D?