Apple TV 2 with 5.3 (currently 5.0.1)

Hi firecore forums,

I am running 5.0.1 untethered. I have never used a tethered jailbreak on Apple TV. This 5.0.1 setup is my first jailbreak with atv. 

I notice performance problems. I did go a little crazy with xbmc addons, but most of them are load on demand. I try to stick with a minimalist xbmc skin, but I am wondering if the upgrade to 5.3 is a worth while improvement over 5.0.1 considering the need to tether.

At this rate, I constantly have to relaunch xbmc after atv rehashes itself (soft boot, maybe called respring?) If the tethered-jailbreak is likely to have the same behavior I would like to avoid it. I am not that interested in anything outside of xbmc. The ESPN channels etc on appletv aren’t really for me.

I haven’t been able to find a current tethered vs untethered description pertaining to apple tv.

Does tethered jailbreak mean every soft-boot (aka: maybe respring) needs to re-cable or only when the power goes out do cables need to get hooked back up for the tethered boot?

Is tethered jailbreak upgrade to 5.3 worth it?

Thanks in advance

Does tethered jailbreak mean every soft-boot (aka: maybe respring) needs to re-cable or only when the power goes out do cables need to get hooked back up for the tethered boot? yes, each time you will need to re boot

just ssh into the unit and erase your xbmc folder and redo it and it will solve all your problems.

Is tethered jailbreak upgrade to 5.3 worth it? no but if you want to try it out since your apple tv was jail broken with 5.0.1 you likely have a few blobs saved use ifaith to see which ones you have then jail break with 5.3( you have to do it now before apple stop signing it which is likely in a day or two) try it out and if you don’t like it you can go back

But before you do go to 5.3 make sure that your saved blobs are the right size and that you can build an iFaith and Snowbreeze image with them.

Stored iFaith Cydia blob should be 7.21Kb.