AI to boost the volume of dialogue

Muddled audio is a problem with a lot of content today. Even Amazon is aware and rolling out a feature to use AI to boost the volume of dialogue. Ars Technica has a good article about it all.

And in other news… it’s been nearly 5 years since I made this request to customize the skip times, and still NOTHING??? Come on Firecore!!!

You know, in geological time scales, that’s barely a moment. :slightly_smiling_face:

Omg, are you referring to the amount of seconds you skip with left and right?

I understand there’s hype with AI right now, but there are also tried and true methods of deriving a 2.0 downmix from multi channel sources that enhances dialogue which I think could be or could have been implement much sooner and much easier.

I am using the tvOS integrated feature “Reduce Loud Sounds”:

• Reduce loudness for all videos: Open Settings on Apple TV, go to Video and Audio, and turn on Reduce Loud Sounds.

This reduces peak sounds. I can turn up the volume overall and this feature reduces peaks (like explosions). This way you can understand dialogue better.

That can work but you will blow out your speakers if the tv changes to another input.

1 Like

Yeah. I replied to the thread I originally started years ago. I don’t know why it was split off to a new discussion. My initial comment about muddled audio was in response to something another member said and why he relied on skipping back but needed a shorter jump.

1 Like

I was confused about it getting split off into a new discussion as well.

We still need the left arrow to rewind 5 seconds rather than 15, because that’s the best amount of time to listen to something you didn’t catch.

Artificially boosting volume of dialog is something related, but still quite different. Even with the best AI, I still need to rewind because of sounds in my house, like somebody slammed a door or a car outside honked or somebody came into my room to ask a question.

So let’s get a 5 second rewind first, please?

1 Like

What we need is user adjustable skips with left right settings and up down having differing values e.g. left right back and forward 5s and up and down forward 30s and back 30s (or whatever you find most useful). Given that this should not be difficult to do it is like James has some philosophical reason for not implementing it. Fixed values will suite some people and not others and that is why they should be user settable.

Regards,

Up and down already have essential uses in the playback interface. This suggestion makes no sense.

Perhaps instead a single long-press left / right for the longer skip back / forward increments, and a short click for the 5s skip (or one’s chosen short duration?

Maintain multiple short left / right clicks for various speeds of rewind / fast forward.