AFP not installed?

This seems to be a well thought out product with good support and excellent documentation considering the cost of the product. I had no hesitation in spending $50 after reading the feature set.

The install seemed to go without a hitch but there are several issues i now need to resolve. The purpose of this post is my primary aim: which is to stream movies from my external HDD, (connected to my iMac) to the ATV

I have followed the instructions here to set up the share - http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Network_Streaming

When i go to nitoTV> network i get the error:

“AFP is not installed properly or is missing some essential components. Smart installer with 1.0 recovery dmg in ~/Documents will fix this isssue”

According to the ATV interface Smart installer is correctly installed.

I am a web developer so have a reasonable understanding of these things but I am new to macs.

I am using Apple Tv v2.4 and ATVFlash v3.6.2 in other words the latest versions of both apps.

Can someone help?

I’m assuming your Apple TV came with 1.0 originally?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i think 1.0 originally. I upgraded to 2.4 before installing ATVFlash per the instructions. I had upgraded the ATV software on 2 previous occasions since i originally purchased it - which was around October 2007

So you have had AFP working on previous versions?

Well i’m not certain. I have streamed movies and audio to the ATV before via an iTunes link - but from a PC. My iMac (where i am now trying to stream content from) is new but i have streamed content to the ATV before from friends macbooks without any problem and i guess that would have used AFP?

Hi there!
Did you create the recovery.dmg from your atv? Take a look at the smart installer log. It should say “valid recovery.dmg found” if it´s really 1.0 (the log pops up first time you use smart installer).
cheers
winmann

I have the same problem as the original poster did, including the same error message

Is there a way to get this to work on the later versions of Apple TV?

Hopefully with easy instructions on how to activate it???

Same problem on v3.0.1 on AppleTV using latest ATV Flash, same error message!!

Tried this:
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enable_AFP

Still doesn’t work. Could the developers tell us how to fix this?

I installed the new update 4.0.2 onto a new Apple TV (ATV), but I have to say not much works. For example, I can not open Boxee (it just hangs) nor can I, more importantly, access the NAS off my local network to play movies? The problem appears to be lack of the AFP on this new ATV. My question is: How do I move the AFP application from my old version 1.0 Apple TV onto the second new ATV that I just purchased to get NAS working properly?

Yep, I am having ythe same issue, ahhhhhhhhh!

This looks so cool biut it is not working! :roll:

HELP!!!

After reading these forums carefully, the key to making BOXEE and XBMC work is not to “update” the installer option, this application is incompatible with the new apple update 3.01. Remove it from within the “plugins” menu and simply reinstall the XBMC launcher (apple TV goes through a number of normal resets, so wait). After doing this, both BOXEE and XBMC work and run my movies nicely. That said, to get my movies into the Apple TV movies folder, I have had to use Cyberduck FTP from my iMAC desktop (drag and drop). I can not connect to by Apple Extreme router that has my NAS-USB drive (with all my movies on it)? I don’t know why the OSX 10.4.9 does not provide the AFP option as suggested it does? I have two Apple TV’s, and fortunately the older unit has version 1.0 on the disk. I did a factory reset and confirmed that. I think I will have to redo this all on that unit to get AFP working properly?

I finally got everything working today including the AFP to link to my Airport Extreme NAS. This is not a step by step, but the “secret” was to use the setup AFP which is described within this forum, but instead use this “incorrect” recovery.dmg disk image (400 MB) that is put into the documents folder to create a new recovery.dmg file with the old version of OS.dmg 1.0 ATV. This OSBOOT-DMG can be found by searching and downloading the file (this was described in a BOXXE forum post). The only issue (I discovered that was not covered) is the old OS.dmg is slightly bigger than the newer version (doesn’t quite fit directly into the ATV recovery.dmg), and this requires making a new disk image with the disk utility (500MB) app. Mount the 3 disk images (on the host MAC): new recovery.dmg that is from the ATV documents folder (…moved to the desktop), the old OS.dmg that was downloaded off the internet (197.9 MB), and the new “recovery.dmg” made with the disk utility. Copy over the four files from the ATV recovery.dmg without the “new OS.dmg” (177.9 MB) replacing it with the “old” OS.dmg" (197.9 MB) that was downloaded, placing them all into your new recovery.dmg (should now have five files)(488.3 MB total), make it read/write and finally drop (using Cyberduck) it back to the ATV documents folder. (I had already replaced the MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.dmg into the documents folder that I had downloaded from the Apple Support System page). Open ATV and run the Smart Installer. Now everything works with the ATV 3.01 updated with the ATV Flash 4.0.2. This update would have been much easier to use if this “file” was part of the ATV Flash 4.0.2 and the so called launcher “update” option had been removed?

By default the AppleTV will attempt to connect via the AFP protocol, however most newer AppleTV units will not support this protocol. The SMB protocol can be used in its place by setting up a ‘Manual Share Point’. We have a guide for setting this up at the link below.

http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Network_Streaming

If you’re having trouble setting up the share point, let us know and we can help walk you through it.

Note: If you think you have an older AppleTV (purchased prior to October 2007) AFP can be enabled here: http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enable_AFP

I just wanted to get the AFP working on my new Apple TV and can now see it as a shared device on my iMAC desktop. It makes access to my NAS attached to the Airport Extreme a lot easier? Thank you, as I did get the manual method to work per your link provided. Everything works now with the 4.0.2 ATV Flash even with the AFP.

From elsewhere, but follow these instructions. You will need to change permissions on the relevant folders to copy the new files to them.

The files you need are here <edit - link removed> - [color=#BF0000]Please do not distribute these files here.[/color]

Okay, here goes, the files above are from a 1.0 dmg.

from sbin directory…

mount_afp

from System>Library>Filesystems…

Appleshare directory and its’ contents.

Please note - To enable write access of the root account, run the following…

sudo -S mount -uw /
sudo -S touch /.readwrite
sudo -S sync

Copy mount_afp to the sbin directory…

Copy Appleshare directory and its’ contents to System>Library>Filesystems

I did this with Cyber duck, but had to change folder permissions in Terminal then use Cyberduck?

Create a symbolic link from AppleShare/afpfs.kext to afpfs.fs in /System/Library/Filesystems on Apple TV, run the following command…

cd /System/Library/Filesystems
sudo ln -s AppleShare/afpfs.kext afpfs.fs

To then set owner and permissions, run the following…

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Filesystems/Appleshare
sudo chmod +x /sbin/mount_afp
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare
sudo chown root:wheel /sbin/mount_afp
sudo chmod +s /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad

That works perfectly for me…

Is it possible to enable AFP on a late 2009 AppleTV? I am trying to connect my AppleTV to my Airport Extreme using smb, but I keep getting error messages. I don't know if the previous post is explaining how to enable AFP on new AppleTV's, but if it is - I can't seem to find the files mentioned.