Advantages / Disadvantages of HFS+ over Fat32

Can anyone tell me if there are advantages / disadvantages to using HFS+ file system over FAT32? I have an external HD formatted to FAT32 right now and the video on it tends to skip. It acts like it cannot keep up. Sometimes the audio keeps playing and the video skips to keep up with it and sometimes they both stop for a few seconds. Will formatting the external HD to HFS+ give me better / more reliable video playback? If not, I won’t bother.

Also, I realize that HFS+ cannot be read by a Windows machine natively. It would require special software. I don’t care about that. Right now, my one and only concern is fixing the playback problem on my AppleTV. If the drive cannot keep up then it is pointless to have. The ability to store my entire library on my AppleTV does not outweigh video quality for me. If it’s going to skip, I don’t want it.

The biggest advantages as I see it with HFS+ over FAT32 is that FAT32 is not a journalled filesystem (more robust if you power off without unmounting the filesystem) and it has a limit of 4GB in filesize, so putting most DVD-images or BlueRay-RIPs on a FAT32-system will not work.

Performance (speed) is also supposedly better on HFS+, so it might fix your issue, but I cannot guarantee it.

Try setting up an NFS or SMB share on one of your other machines and stream over your local LAN, that is what I do, and I have had no performance issues whatsoever. This also solves your problem with Win not reading an HFS+ share, since windows does SMB shares natively, so the machine with the SMB share can have any filesystem you want.