Adjustable time left until 'watched'

First - thanks for Infuse… very, very happy to turn off my Plex server on my Synology and switch to Infuse on my new ATV 4k.

But, as always there’s some ‘first world issues’ that I’d still like to see, so here t’is…

Not sure how uich time left is needed to trigger the ‘watched’ status to update - but perhaps an option to make it larger like 5 minutes - i.e. as soon as an episode is watched to within 5 minutes of file end, it will toggle the status to watched. Current setting seems a bit short, with a show with longer credits.

11 Likes
  1. Not sure how uich time left is needed to trigger the ‘watched’ status to update - but perhaps an option to make it larger like 5 minutes - i.e. as soon as an episode is watched to within 5 minutes of file end, it will toggle the status to watched. Current setting seems a bit short, with a show with longer credits.

Similarly, if you play an item for just a second or less (if it fails to load and jumps to next item), it will be added to the “Watching” section. An item should only be added to the “Watching” section when it’s been watched for at least several seconds or a minute. The only way to then remove it from “Watching” is to mark it as watched, even if the item hasn’t been watched, which means it then needs to be marked as unwatched. All of this just to keep the “Watching” section clean. It should be handled the same way Plex does it.

2 Likes

And in the ‘Watching’ section - like in the Plex ‘On Deck’ - when a new episode of a watched show arrives in your media folder… this should trigger and be shown in the watching section… at present if you’re ‘watching’ a show and finish all current episodes, it does not show up again even when a new episode is ready.

1 Like

+1 If I stop playback during closing credits of a TV show, I consider it watched. Sometimes it can be tricky to come back and catchup to where you were under the current system.

1 Like

The problem I’ve seen is that there in no set time duration for credits so if the credits run for 5 minutes it may not be marked as watched but some credits are sped up and last only a few seconds and those will show as watched when quit before end. Then there’s the shows that the credits have been eliminated and then if you quit early to come back later it will still show as watched and not in process.

It appears Infuse has chosen a middle of the road time for the marking as watched and that seems to work the majority of the time. I don’t think there’s any "markers in videos that signal the start of credits so it will always be a toss of the dice where to mark it watched.

In my many years of using Plex, which does exactly what is requested, I’ve never been burned by this assumption. I want that assumption. We don’t need markers. Who watches half-hour TV shows and legitimately pauses with only one minute to go–and moreover does this all the time, to the point that it inconveniences them on the regular? It’s a practical assumption to assume that if there’s a minute left in anything that it’s almost certainly done with. I don’t know anyone who constantly pauses everything they watch during the last climactic minute only to return to it later. That’s just not the general use case–not by a long-shot. By and large, users are done with the content if that condition exists. It’s an intelligent assumption to make. I am constantly marking items I’m done watching as watched in Infuse; I never need to do this with Plex: when I’m done watching something, it’s just marked as watched. I’m regularly getting burned by shows not being marked as watched in Infuse.

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that the assumption can be a calculation based on the length of the item. If it’s a three-hour movie, it’s probably safe to assume that leaving it with five minutes left means it is watched. Similarly, a 30-minute TV show with five minutes left to go might not be completely watched, but it’s probably watched if there’s only one minute to go.

Hope that this can be implemented.

Agreed. +1

Agreed. +1

Upvote the original post, guys. Adding a comment will not increase the visibility of the issue.

First of all, sorry for my english.

I’m using the latest version of infuse in apple tv 4k and iPhone 11.

I usually watch lots of homemade videos (educational videos, own rips from tv shows) and the ‘watched’ threshold marks the video as watched when there is less than 3 minutes left on the episode. I get to watch this videos at home and at work (lots of downtime) but sometimes something comes up and i need to stop my video. The problem is it doesn’t keep my progress because infuse marks it as fully watched so it’s a bit of a pain to manually go back to where i stopped.

Is there any way to modify this behaviour?

Thanks.

10 Likes

Currently there isn’t a setting to change this but since your post is in the suggestions forum maybe others will chime in and add their support for this as candidate for becoming an added feature.

Hi all, not sure if this is possible already but can i somehow leave those movies that i watch till credits “untouched” in “continue watching” row at the top? Just that i’d like to delete the movies that i watched and i always have to go back to my nas folder to do this as they disappear if you are near the credit of the movie… Also, James, just a sneaky question here - i’m this close to just buying lifetime membership but your company wouldn’t go bust in the next 10 years right? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you’re pretty safe :joy:

Please add the option of setting these thresholds manually. Alternatively, if possible, make Infuse read watched status from the media server instead of having its own logic for it – I have set up my Jellyfin server to never consider videos watched until I mark them manually. Infuse does not honor this since it has its own logic for determining when a video is watched.

I received the following details from Firecore support regarding what thresholds Infuse currently uses for when a video is considered watched:
Movies – 98%
TV Episodes – 92%

Adding options for setting these should be a simple matter, I think.

1 Like

And apparently it takes only 0.00001% of playback to cause an episode or movie to switch from being marked ‘watched’ or ‘unwatched’ to ‘watching’. :angry:

Yes and that would be a separate issue like this one you’ve commented on

I can’t remember what I ate for breakfast; good on you to remember posts of mine from half a year ago. Consider me suitably chided.

I’ve noticed this issue for a year or two now, so it’s not version-specific.

A typical example occurred today. I had to pause a 2-hour movie with a little over 8 minutes left. I came back to my iPad a few minutes later and after unlocking it, the movie had stopped. It was now marked as Watched.

Infuse seems to assume that the last x minutes of content (seems to be about 10) are credits and can be disregarded. Granted, there was only a minute or two of film left before the credits rolled, but why skip the credits at all? Especially when so many movies these days have mid- and post-credits scenes.

It’s percentage based. Something like 95% for movies and 90% for tv shows. Generally though if people are already at the credits and they stop they don’t want to continue later. <1% probably have mid or end credit scenes even if it is 10% of most popular ones. :man_shrugging:t3: but I agree that some people would like it to not mark until later

1 Like