Adjust button layout (tvOS)

Any reason for this inconsistency?

2 Likes

If an item doesn’t have a trailer (eg a home video) you will see this layout.

It’s odd, to say the least, I would just leave the trailer section blank if there’s no trailer. Switching from symbols to words and putting them in different places is just… odd. It breaks logical consistency.

i agree, it makes no sense to change the button layout (and format) just because another button may or may not be displayed.

Confused me too, as I was like where has the watched button gone. I completely missed the Mark as Watched button for a good few seconds as it’s not where I expected it to be. I think a unified approach is better. Either hide the Trailer button, or grey it out with a No Trailer title. But leave all the other buttons in the same place.

Why has this been moved to a “suggestion”, surely you’re not saying that you’d need community support in the way of voting it up to have UI consistent within the app? That should be a fundamental base

After the trailer feature was added, it became clear there was a segment of users who didn’t care to use trailers and preferred having the mark as watched button remain as the second large button.

As a result, we added an option to disable trailers which results in the layout you see here. This layout is also present if a video does not an IMDb ID present (EG home videos).

Maybe there’s a middle-ground that would appeal to everyone, but it’s likely the suggested change would be viewed negatively by a number of people.

2 Likes

UI consistently shouldn’t be up for debate, and it certainly shouldn’t “upset” a subset of users

The OP showed two different tvOS layouts which can be matched with option changes so they are consistent but allow for personalization the way I see it.

are consistent but allow for personalization the way I see it

Where can I change or disable all of these “choices” you’re making for us? I don’t see where we’re allowed to do anything… just sayin’

Since we’re in suggestions which also makes no sense, when a change is made in a beta that’s specifically what the beta is for. It’s not a feature anyone but a coder would think makes sense.

My suggestion, which should be part of the beta discussion, but I’ve already ranted about that, is to create a film strip logo tag in the top row for trailers. The Mark as Watched or Mark as Unwatched is a better use of that bottom row…

HOWEVER, since we’re in suggestions, I would really like a playback settings button. So I can select the audio and subtitles BEFORE I start playing the file. So maybe that bottom row becomes the film strip logo and a gear logo.

I think the pushback you keep getting from a lot of us is with the UI experience, this is what made Apple Apple… And what we keep getting are coder choices that make sense in creating something, but not when interacting with it.

Yeah this better not happen.

Yeah this better not happen.

This is why we throw ideas out there. What has happened shouldn’t have happened.

I’m not making any choices for anyone but myself.

Settings > General > Trailers

Already a suggestion, add your support there.

The difference in screen shots is not by changing options. James said, it’s one film without a trailer and another with. The only way to get a consistent UI is to disable trailers all together. I think that is what the OP is saying, and I agree it should just say “No Trailer” and deactivate the button, instead of bringing an icon from left to right, removing the icon, moving it down and adding a Name. It’s extremely inconsistent.

2 Likes

I can agree with this, I don’t use trailers so I don’t have it showing but yup, just disable the button but leave it if no trailer is available seems the way to go to me too.

1 Like

I’m not making any choices for anyone but myself.

The Infuse development team is. You respond to clarify on their behalf at times.

Settings > General > Trailers

I want the trailers option if there is one. This is an irrelevant response to moving buttons.

I agree it should just say “No Trailer” and deactivate the button, instead of bringing an icon from left to right, removing the icon, moving it down and adding a Name. It’s extremely inconsistent.

I’m on board with this too.

This button presentation logic was last changed about a year ago in 7.5.3.

1 Like

As I said in my initial post this was the first time I’ve run into it. And I’ve never seen it mentioned since I’ve belonged to this forum or beta.

All I’m seeking with the evolution of the app is consistency. I believe I’ve been consistent about that (pun intended).