720p Using Crystal HD is Not Great on My Setup - Any Advice?

Is anyone else having difficulties playing 720p content on xbmc with the CrytsalHD card enabled? I've followed the installation guide to the letter, and it does appear to be an improvement but the playback is very variable. I was under the impression that the card would allow (almost) flawless 720p playback while offering limited support for 1080p, but about 50% of my 720p content is barely watchable. After rebooting yesterday ALL 720p files worked faultlessly (indicating that the hardware is ok?), but most of the time this isn't the case.

If other people are experiencing similar issues then I'll stop searching as the hardware obviously isn't up to the job, but it was my impression that the hardware should be far better than my experience so far.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

PS I have the BCM70012 card if that's relevant.

As an update to the OP:

The ATV will happily play most 720p mkv files after rebooting. However, there are a couple of 720p mkvs (8-10GB) that cause stuttering. The funny thing is, that once one of these 'problem' files are played, all the other 720p movies stutter. Any reason why this is?

I'm happy to delete said files - hopefully it is a rare issue that won't reappear.

I was having the same issues and ended up upgrading to the new BCM70015. Totally flawless experience, even on 1080p files. 10G 1080p Inception = awesome

A lot depends on the Crystal HD drivers and the version of XBMC. I find r156 of the drivers and Dharma 10.0 works fine with my older CHD for 720p. Some files are not totally smooth but it's pretty impressive. Playback is even better using a Linux-ATV. There playback is flawless for 720p. I don't know about 1080p.

philip

[quote="tdansmith"]

As an update to the OP:

The ATV will happily play most 720p mkv files after rebooting. However, there are a couple of 720p mkvs (8-10GB) that cause stuttering. The funny thing is, that once one of these 'problem' files are played, all the other 720p movies stutter. Any reason why this is?

I'm happy to delete said files - hopefully it is a rare issue that won't reappear.

[/quote]

Same to me and I have instead a BCM70015. After a reboot the first video (either 720p or 1080p) is working fine. AFter having played some others instead they start stuttering.

On the XBMC forum I have read about a memory leakage but I thought that was a problem present only in the older drivers. I have tried both r145 and r156.

Does anyone else have the same problem ?

Yes, several users are having the very same issues, including myself.