What the heck is going on here?
So I’m updated to 7.4.3 (4209), my library has fully updated and iTunes has fully synced.
Since Infuse starting allowing local .nfo files to override TMDB derived cast and crew data; something Infuse used to be so good at has completely gone to pot.
When Infuse used only TMDB, everything worked fine. Now that it seems to be using both, it’s a disaster. Even though I only use local .nfo files mostly to edit the displayed titles of movies; to differentiate multiple versions (4K vs HD, Theatrical vs Director’s Cut, etc) and
sorttitle tags for file management purposes (and the hope Infuse might someday support them) … I’ve made sure to update (again) all my movie and TV episodes .nfo files with Cast and Crew sourced directly from TMDB — the same place Infuse gets it from.
Here’s what I’ve found. If I’m watching a show … say, Sandman, and then exit to look up someone on the Cast and Crew bar, such as David Thewlis, and click his icon …. only a few titles of his are displayed. Well, that can’t be right, I know I’ve seen that guy in other movies. So I go to Google, see he was famous for being in lots of movies I know I have in my collection, that aren’t showing up in the list generated when clicking on his name. Such as any of the Harry Potter movies, or the 3rd season of Fargo.
So I wonder, what’s wrong with my metadata?
I look up Fargo, go to season 3, pick an episode where he is featured in the thumbnail, and there he is. In the cast and crew bar. Huh. So I click on his picture again, and all the films that showed up before show up again, but none of the missing titles, except this time, Fargo is included.
Next I look up Harry Potter. Google says he was first in the one from 2004, so I click that. And there’s his picture again. I click it. Now all the Harry Potter films he was in were added. But I’m still missing a dozen others. Justice League. Theory of Everything. Seven Years in Tibet. Val. Sonehearst Asylum. War Horse. Wonder Woman. The Zero Theorem. I’m Thinking of Ending it All. One by one, they get added to his picture, but only if I first go to the movie page and view the cast and crew bar.
This is maddening.
And then there was The Big Lebowski. So I click on that one. There he is again. But I’ve got that title in my library twice — one in HD, one in 4K. Only the 4K one I clicked on shows.
This is maddening. So I go to search and search his name. And what do you know? He has two entries. One, clearly derived from TMDB while importing my collection. This one properly lists all his titles which I have in my library, even the HD version of The Big Lebowski next to the 4K one, and another few movies I hadn’t checked manually – Dragonheart, Kingdom of Heaven, The New World, and Red 2.
The other is missing a bunch of titles.
This one is clearly derived from my local TMDB data — which is pretty useless since Infuse isn’t scanning it’s contents in in the background. But Infuse also isn’t using the good data it gets from searching TMDB to populate the list of titles you get from clicking on an actors’s photo.
So, of course, I then searched Nicolas Cage. He’s been in a few movies.
Two listings. One has 6 lines of results —32 titles. The other, 11 lines — 66 titles.
PLEASE add a setting to force the use of either TMDB or local Cast and Crew — and stop allowing both. Every single search I do results in duplicate entries (unless Infuse hasn’t bothered to scan my local nfo because I haven’t opened up a title with that person’s name yet — such as David Theune in my first photo.
This situation is maddening. If I delete all cast and crew references from my local .nfo files, I get zero listed cast and crew — unless I use the search feature. Rubbish.
Please urgently address this.