7.1 TrueHD not being sent from Apple TV?

I have an older Pioneer VSX-920 receiver that supports 7.1 TrueHD. I have a couple of movies which infuse says it is outputting a 7.1 TrueHD signal, but the receiver says it’s only getting 5.1 Dolby Digital.

The connection going from Apple TV ( A1842) via HDMI → TV (TCL 85P745) via Optical → Pioneer receiver. The TV is set to audio pass through, so no processing should occur. I have tested this and when I select PCM the Receiver goes to stereo, and back to pass through it returns to 5.1.

This leads me to believe the applet tv is not sending the 7.1 signal. It is set to “auto” for audio output and Atmos is off as the amp doesn’t support it, but I have also tried with it on.

Does infuse / Apple TV support 7.1 TrueHD? Would be great if that True HD light came on below!

I don’t think optical can pass atmos/truehd.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try another method!

From what I can see, I will need an eARC extractor. Then I would connect it to the eARC HDMI port on my TV, then connect the audio only HDMI output to the Reciever.

Am thinking something like this OREI eARC 4K 60Hz Audio Extractor Converter 18G HDMI 2.0 ARC Support - HDCP 2.2 - Dolby Digital/DTS Passthrough CEC, HDR, Dolby Vision HDR10 Support (HDA-927) https://amzn.asia/d/3hvD4tR

This way the TV remains the main audio source for my Reciever and it also sends 7.1 via HDMI

Does anyone have any experience with such a device?

Keep in mind that the AppleTV will not output bitstream TrueHD. Under any circumstance. Its an unfortunate limitation of the operating system.

Infuse will decode the TrueHD stream to lossless 7.1 LPCM. Check that your receiver and eARC extractor support multichannel PCM.

More info: Audio Options (tvOS) – Firecore Support

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like the above device does support it

• Dedicated HDMI Audio only output to connect to an AV Receiver supports Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital, DTS Digital, DTS HD Master, Dolby/DTS 7.1&5.1CH, PCM7.1&5.1&2.0 stereo audio)

And the VSX-920 : › › Multi-channel PCM (192 kHz) & SACD (2 ch) Playback via HDMI

So I should be good.

Reporting back…. The device above works well!