(6.0) Can I jailbreak or downgrade?

Hi All

I am VERY new to apple tv… I bought an apple tv from a friend today with version 6.0 on it. I dont think I can but …Can I jailbreak it or downgrade to a version that can be jailbroken? … he has never connected it to his computer, so does not have any backup from an earlier firmware.

It is a version 2

Yes, I believe Apple is still signing version 5.3 which means you can still perform a tethered jailbreak on version 5.3 on ANY atv2.  You should do this ASAP because Apple will likely quit signing this version soon.

They are still signing 5.3…

Thanks both, done :) … Now I’ve just got to work out how to get XBMC on to it!! … Do you know of any easy guides?, I’m off to look for one now. :) … thanks again

This states it’s for 5.2 and lower but I see no reason it shouldn’t work.

Go here and start at step 23.  http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2013/08/14/complete-guide-to-installing-xbmc-on-the-apple-tv-2-running-5-2-or-lower-with-ifaith-blobs-and-configure-with-the-wizard-addon/

One way to get addons is to get “hubwizard”. Start from step 28 from the link above

So you can downgrade from 6.0 (7.0.3) to 5.3 tethered…but you can never downgrade it to an untethered version?

the downgrade from 6.0 to 5.3 tethered is possible since apple is still signing it. For the lower version, unless you have the saved shsh blob particular to that unit, you cant downgrade it.

I screwed up!!! I didn’t know!! I just installed the 6.0 and didn’t realize I can’t jailbreak it. how do I go back down? no backups or anything.

Please help i’m not wise in this stuff… no clue what tethered or unthetered means… I’ve tried to go back down to 5.2 but im getting a 3194 error… please help with step by step…

thanks a lot

I screwed up!!! I didn’t know!! I just installed the 6.0 and didn’t realize I can’t jailbreak it. how do I go back down? no backups or anything.

Please help i’m not wise in this stuff… no clue what tethered or unthetered means… I’ve tried to go back down to 5.2 but im getting a 3194 error… please help with step by step…

thanks a lot

Tethered means it has to be connected to a computer to get it to switch on, everytime the power is turned off.

Untethered means, it just works when switched on.

Sorry my downgrading knowlage is not good … you could try going to 5.3 (tethered), if microsoft are still allowing (they were when i started this post, thats what i had to do) if not I think you might be stuck! … I would love to go back to 5.2 so if you find a way please post it here please.