3D movies through Apple TV 4

3D side by side files will play with any and all media players,
We are are talking about “frame packed” full HD 3D here, same as what’s on Blu-ray Disc. 2 completely different things.
We are looking for playback support of the mkv containing the MVC in its original format that is created with this process.
https://firecore.com/sites/default/files/upload/screen_shot_2016-10-23_at_2.03.55_pm.png
Eliminating the need to creat a side by side file.and playing back the file in its original resolution.

The side by side file created with dvdfab reduces the resolution by half.

Well I’m now starting to see the problem a little more clearly.

I set up makeMKV precisely as is shown in that screenshot. But I don’t get a side by side file as a result.

I think I’m on the same page as Drumm, and a bit puzzled by how dred30 get his sbs files out of makeMKV (if he does).

Make mkv cannot creat a side by side file, it does no encoding at all.it rips and repackages the files to mkv. Dvdfab re encodes to a side by side file. Side by side 3D looks like absolute crap on a 110" screen

First, I’ve never been able to get the subs to work from the rip.
Second, I only use makemkv. I don’t actually know of anything else that is compatible on my Mac.
Third, I just chose something quick to rip as a example. If I’m not mistaken, this attached is what is referred to as frame packed.

No that is top and bottom or “HTAB” not frame packed.it is still half resolution and is a re encode of the original MVC file

To clarify
Frame packed 3D is 2 separate video feeds"stereo" if you will. You have one 1080p image for the left eye (avc) and a second 1080p image for the right eye(mvc). Your tv alternates the 2 images to give you 3D. (Full1080p for each eye)

Side by side takes the 2 1080p images and squashes them into one 1080p image with the 2 images shown side by side in one 1080p frame.
Your tv then expands the entire image and alternates each side to give you 3D. With this you only get a 540p image to each eye.

Top and bottom( which is what you pictured) is the same as side by side but the images are top and bottom.still 540p to each eye

Any update on this feature, James? I did a backup of couple of my 3D movies and would love to play those .mkv via Infuse.

But so far, Infuse doesn’t recognize the 3D content and plays it in 2D…

Are you looking for 3D framepacking support? If so the Apple TV hardware does not and will not support it. 3D SBS and OU work.

I am looking for the possible support James mentioned 3 years ago - probably the decoding of the MVC part of the .mkv into 2 separate streams, one for each eye.

But I think that James can better tell us what he had in mind.

Unfortunately, the Apple TV doesn’t support true 3D output, but there are a few workarounds people have found that seem to work.

More info here.

So if I understand correctly, I would have to buy DVDFab and convert my .mkv‘s (with MVC inside) to 4k-3D files in order for Infuse being able to stream it via Apple TV to my 4k 3D TV?

Yes.

Converter doesn’t seem to work - always says:

“The current profile doesn’t support 3D MVC MKV files”

I can try any other setting/profile, always the same… any hint?

You can try this Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac-Backup BD/DVD to Lossless MKV

It’s also possible that 3D MVC isn’t supported on the Mac with the ripper program. Handbrake said they wouldn’t add support as there wasn’t an open source Library that can read MVC.

Thanks - so they list different outputs for 3D:

Output vivid 3D video
Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac can rip 3D Blu-ray to 3D SBS MP4, 3D SBS MKV, 3D SBS AVI, 3D SBS WMV, 3D SBS MOV for Gear VR, Oculus Rift DK2/CV1, HTC Vive, 3D LG TV, etc

Do you know if one of those is working with Infuse + Apple TV?

I use 3D SBS MKV files played via inFuse in conjunction with my 3D capable projector and they work fine. I would expect them to also work with a TV if it supports 3D SBS format but as I do not have such a TV I cannot confirm that.

1 Like

They’ll work however it probably won’t do the auto switch the tv to 3D mode so you’ll have to manually press the 3D button on the remote.

Converter doesn’t seem to work - always says:

“The current profile doesn’t support 3D MVC MKV files”

I can try any other setting/profile, always the same… any hint?

I believe it only works with ISOs or physical discs which is very annoying as I had all of my 3D as 3D MKVs.
I’ve almost finished re-encoding them… 12 hours each (4K, SBS, H265) and some I have to do in Windows as the Mac version sometimes fails.

With the Apple Vision Pro Version, will Infuse also start to support true 3D Blu-ray MKV file playback with MVC?