Dolby Atmos metadata tags

Love the app. Can we have 3D audio specific icons to show up on the movie/show details view? Right now I can only see “Dolby Digital Plus 5.1” on titles that have Atmos for example. Would be great if we can see this additional details.

56 Likes

James, I’m support this

2 Likes

Hi,

Is there a reason why Infuse can’t tell me that a movie is Atmos when it is?
It only says Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 when browsing (and also when playing and I check the audio track), but according to Sonos it plays Atmos correctly. See images below. Any ideas?
Right now it’s impossible to know what movies are playing in Atmos if I don’t check the Sonos app.

It has something to do with the bitrate and compression i think.
Maybe there is someone who can explain this.

It reads the codec ID from the file and there’s no special codec identifier for atmos.

99JQ4

Im not sure either of these are problem issues, but…

The movie is tagged as Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 but my AVR displays Dolby Atmos PCM (nice surprise though). Down at the bottom of the detail screen is see HEVC Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 . I guess that’s the “Moved Movie Details…” but will some details be at the top of the screen and some at the bottom? Seems odd.

Edit: Plex’s label is 5.1 EAC3 for the same file. I do understand that label is always a crapshoot for actual Atmos.

This is fine. Plex doesn’t label Atmos content.

I understand that it can’t reliably label audio as being Atmos, but itd be less confusing, especially with us Plex users, if it labelled at 5.1 EAC3. When i see that I know that there’s a chance it could be Atmos. I would expect anything labelled with 5.1 thats its actually Dolby Atmos.

Got it. Feature request then.

There are some misconceptions here I’d like to address however, EAC-3 however is commercially DD+, so Infuse is labelling the media accurately, in addition, most EAC-3 media is actually not Atmos.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. This is confusing. I ( apparently wrongly) thought AC3 was Atmos because sometimes the AC3 label yields Atmos in Infuse (i thought), MrMc and I think at one time, Plex. I thought DD+ was a myriad of codecs like my Fire Stick offered years ago.

Ac3 is Dolby digital/Dolby digital plus. It’s the catch all for any lossy Dolby digital. Dolby digital can also have atmos added to it (eac3 with joint object coding).

TrueHD is the lossless version. It can also have atmos added to it as well.

Plex only will distinguish between the two core audio formats… either AC3 or TrueHD. It will not determine if the core audio format also has Dolby atmos. AFAIK no player will pick this up.

1 Like

Hi all, I am new to all of this, and can see this subject is something I wanted an answer too.
I understand if Infuse can’t play it, then its best to show what it can play, I agree.

However Infuse can play Dolby Atmos if the file is EAC3 JOC - Which is DolbyDigital+ with Joint Object Coding (Atmos to you and I)

I have a few files which MediaInfo Displays like this:
**Audio:** English, 768 kb/s, 48 KHz, 6 channels, E-AC-3 JOC (Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos)

Infuse displays this as a DD5.1 in the labelling. Now I can only imagine the reason why, is that it only has 6 channels, in theory you should see at least 8 channels right? 5.1 + 2 (Front, Left, Centre, Rear L, Rear R, Sub, Height 1, Height 2)

So to my question… if Infuse sees 8 channels, would it display the correct Dolby Atmos Label, or will it still default to 5.1?

Would be great if someone could clear up what the trigger for Atmos Labelling is, if it indeed that label does exist :slightly_smiling_face:

Infuse will not display Atmos labels, at least not yet. 7.1 TrueHD files are labeled appropriately. 5.1 Dolby Digital are labeled appropriately.

I can’t be 100% certain but I believe the audio tag is derived from the CODEC ID field. This ID will always show A_EAC3 regardless of whether there is atmos metadata or not. I’m willing to bet the atmos tags you see on streaming services were out there manually.

Ah okay. I see so right now, even though infuse supports a version of Atmos, they are not shouting about it. Cool thank you chaps

Currently, Infuse doesn’t display whether an ATMOS audio track is detected in the metadata on the details screen. Please add an “ATMOS” tag to the metadata info display on the details page.

For instance, currently I have several movies which are mkv files and have an e-ac3 audio track containing DD+ 5.1 with ATMOS. They playback just fine with the ATMOS layer, but the Infuse Details screen only displays “Dolby Digital Plus 5.1” for the audio metadata.

Thanks.

3 Likes

I support this.

I’m Joe and i support this message

2 Likes

You may support the “message” but don’t forget that you need to click the like button on the first post in this thread to show your support for this suggestion! :wink:

1 Like