Multiple video tracks (EG different cuts)

Hey i was trying to watch Kingdom of Heaven there are 3 cuts in the file
1- Director’s Cut Roadshow Version (3h:13m:54s), with Overture and Entr’acte
2- Director’s Cut Version (3h:09m:34s)
3- Theatrical Version (2h:24m:37s)

when i play the movie it shows 4h2min duration none of these cut isnt that long.What im doing wrong here? im trying to watch the 1st cut.

here is the medialog

General
Unique ID : 235999503134432062692836694400723605289 (0xB18BD9DACA15B039AAB42C8721C05729)
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 28.1 GiB
Duration : 4h 2mn
Overall bit rate : 16.5 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2014-10-19 01:51:38
Writing application : mkvmerge v3.4.0 (‘Rapunzel’) built on May 15 2010 09:38:20
Writing library : libebml v0.8.0 + libmatroska v0.9.0
TITLE : Theatrical Version

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 14.7 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 818 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.390
Stream size : 24.9 GiB (89%)
Title : Kingdom of Heaven 3in1 Ultimate Edition (2005)
Writing library : x264 core 142 r2479kMod dd79a61
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.00 / psy_rd=1.10:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / fgo=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=17.0000 / qcomp=0.70 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=30000 / vbv_bufsize=20000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.30 / pb_ratio=1.20 / aq=1:0.70 / zones=2472,2970,crf=14/4380,4970,crf=14/11760,12194,crf=14/13238,15568,crf=14/15773,15907,crf=14/17570,17706,crf=14/18447,18502,crf=14/18708,19149,crf=14/46152,46648,crf=15/55351,58900,crf=14/60171,60975,crf=14/216105,216411,crf=14/216644,216789,crf=14/219945,220575,crf=14/232621,234720,crf=14/235078,235206,crf=14/279019,279514,crf=14/280714,281206,crf=14/290865,291730,crf=14/340721,341117,crf=14
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 2.56 GiB (9%)
Default : Yes

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : English
Default : No

Text #2
ID : 4
Title : English-SDH

Text #3
ID : 5
Title : French
Language : French

Text #4
ID : 6
Title : Spanish
Language : Spanish

Menu #1

Menu #2

Menu #3

1 Like

It appears that the file wasn’t ripped correctly. The file info also shows 4h 2mn as a duration. You may want to try ripping it again and check what video files are included.

Mkv containers support having multiple cuts in a single file called „editions“ through seamless branching. I don‘t think Infuse currently supports this. In some media players you can select which edition to play through the splitter (MPC-HC for example).

When the editions aren‘t read properly, all video in the file just gets played in the order that it is saved in the file. Usually one cut is in one piece first and then additional footage that gets inserted or replaces certain parts are at the end. You can probably still play the video and one version will play correctly but you can‘t select which one to play.

1 Like

If this mkv had multiple videos wouldn’t it show as video id 2 and video 3 etc in the file info instead of just video id 1?

I think it is handled through chapters that get played at different times or skipped depending on how the edition defines it. Not really sure of the implementation. This page has some more details:

https://matroska.org/technical/specs/chapters/index.html

I would love for Infuse to support this!

I’ve been trying to find a sample MKV file that has multiple videos and have had zero luck. Honestly, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of a multi video mkv and it’s never been an issue I’ve run across. That’s why I’m curious to find one and have a chance to work with one.

Ping on support. Would be nice. :slight_smile:

This would be very much appreciated!

Hello everyone,
I just bought the latest Star Wars Movie and stumbled across this. Infuse 6 is out for a while now: So has this been added?

Background: I created a version of the Star Wars Movie with the German and the English scrolling text at the beginning. The file also has two EDITIONS in the mkv chapter information so I can switch between the two text versions. Works great on VLC on my Mac. I would to some more movies (Avatar, Gladiator, …) now, if I know it works in Infuse or is coming anytime soon (as promised by James above)

Hello,
I have a mkv file with 2 video tracks: it comes from a DVD of a live recording of a musical, so it comes with 2 alternative video tracks showing two different points of view of the recording. I tried both to search in the forum and also in Infuse but I found no way to switch from the main track to the alternative one. Is this a kind of unsupported feature or I’m just not seeing the right path?

Thanks in advance, kind regards,
Fab

Friendly ping on this …

The solution here would be to use MKVToolNix to remux the video, deleting the primary video track while keeping everything else. Takes only as long as copying the file, as no decoding/encoding needs to be done.

Then, if you want to save the disc space, do the same with the 2nd video track (so that you now have two videos: one for each angle).

I don’t see support for this feature being added to Infuse anytime soon, as it’s such a niche use case that’s rarely ever utilized.

For the seamless branching titles, that’s a bit more challenging unless you know which chapters go where, and your file includes the metadata with handy chapter separations; or else you’ll be building the cue sheets based on time code.

Doubt support for that will be implemented either, since blu-ray menus aren’t supported and that’s how those features usually worked.

If you’ve got fast internets … that’s probably the easiest way to get local copies of the versions you can’t access. :man_shrugging:t2:

Okay, with Infuse 7.5 we now got the very nice editions feature in the library view, which is amazing. I have now added Avatar to this view which comes in three different cut versions, each 30 GB in size. The UI supports this nicely now.

However, the difference between the cuts is only a few minutes each cut, so with editions support for MKV files, this would only be 35 GB in total, where currently I have 90+ GB to store the full movie 3 times. As for the Muxing part. The seamless branching is encoded into different MPLS playlists, so I have written a little parser that can extract and create the editions configuration to be loaded into MKVToolNix. Only Infuse support is missing now…

In direct mode (Emby), some TV shows have multiple video sources bundled in one file. However, Infuse only shows the first one to play and cannot select different versions of the video within the same file. Please add this video selection feature.

I believe that you can pick a different video track once you start playing the video, if it really is inside the same file.

That’s exactly what I thought, but I don’t even see the video track option while playing. I was wondering if there might be a bug to fix. By the way, I already tried another app, and they can correctly show the video track option.

i tested this last year and Infuse doesn’t acknowledge anything except the first video track. i use this to compare different encoded techniques for a singular movie since the smart grouping “editions” just doesn’t really fit for that use case

this would hella be useful to choose between different resolutions encoded from the same source

I just ripped my Logan Blu-ray today, which came with both Logan (color, theatrical release) and Logan Noir (black and white video release). I muxed them together into a single mkv file with two video tracks. This seems like an appropriate setup because both discs use the same audio, subtitles and chapters, so muxing them together saves space. Plus it’s just one title, so it keeps it all together. There is only one title in TMDB for the movie as well, so a single file seems to be the right approach.

My mkv works nicely in VLC where I can select the video track I want and switch it mid stream if I like, but it’s not working for Infuse. I was reading that Infuse supports editions, but I can’t figure out how to switch to the Logan Noir edition. I labeled the video tracks Logan and Logan Noir, respectively.

Can someone offer tips to help me get this working in Infuse? I know I can use separate mkv files, but then I end up with wasted space and duplicate entries unless I do some local customization of the metadata, which I would like to avoid. Since all of the content is the same except for the video stream, it seems like a natural fit for this title.

1 Like

i’d say this is unrelated to the editions feature of Infuse and should be a chooser within the player UI just like selecting an audio track

i had to make two MLVs for Logan / Logan Noir to make this work but i do like your solution better to save space

Thanks, that’s how I see it as well.

I was reading the Organize movies into Smart Groups section of a blog post about the 7.5 release, and right now it seems that Infuse is using “smart” groups not just for different editions (which would have different audio tracks, subtitles, and chapter markers) and not just for movies split across multiple files, but also for different resolutions of a movie. That last one seems not so smart…if I’m ripping multiple video resolutions or aspect ratios of a movie, a single mkv file with multiple video tracks paired with the same set of audio tracks, subtitle tracks, and chapter markers seems like a more appropriate solution.

One related question I have about this approach is for 4K titles (of which, I hardly have any – my 4K collection consists solely of Stranger Things Seasons 1 and 2 so far): in a title with both a 4K and a blu-ray disc of the same movie, does a 4K disc generally have the same chapter markers and the exact same duration as a blu-ray disc in the same package? i.e. They’re literally identical, except for the difference in the quality of the video and audio? If that’s the case, that’s a stronger argument for a single mkv file with the video streams muxed together. If not, Logan/Logan Noir may be more of an exception. I’ve been planning a few purchases of some 4K titles (that come with blu-ray), so I’ll figure this out eventually, but it would be nice to know ahead of time to fuel the need for a video track chooser in the player UI.

Maybe this is something for Infuse to consider as an extension to what they built with smart groups in 7.5? The Logan/Logan Noir use case, or the use case where you have multiple resolutions/qualities of video paired with the same audio tracks and subtitle tracks, all of those would be better served in a chooser than through separate files. Why else would support for multiple video tracks exist in mkv containers?