24p Support

Hello firecore Team,

im just thinking about to buy an aTV2 and put fire core on it. the main purpose is to play HD-MKVs (1080p). i know that aTV2 is only capable to display 720p. thats ok for me, but i dont wanna have any stuttering. so the important question: does aTV2/firecore support 24p?

thx in advance

Yes, these files should be supported in the upcoming Beta6 version.

and does atv2/firecore put 24p out?

Yes, the AppleTV supports both 24 and 30 fps content.

okay, i have read that apple tv only supports 50/60hz output, is that incorrect and atv sends the content with 24p to the TV?

Well those are actually two different things. 24 and 30 frames per second (FPS) will vary between types of video content. Movies are typically shot in 24p.

50/60 Hz output refers to the refresh rate of your TV. aTV Flash (black) won’t change the refresh rate output, but chances are your current TV will already support either 50 or 60 Hz.

Well those are actually two different things. 24 and 30 frames per second (FPS) will vary between types of video content. Movies are typically shot in 24p.

50/60 Hz output refers to the refresh rate of your TV. aTV Flash (black) won’t change the refresh rate output, but chances are your current TV will already support either 50 or 60 Hz.[/quote]

actually not. content with 24p, which will be output with 50/60hz, has to be pulled up. (24fps*2 = 48fps/hz,2 frames missing). the result is a little bit of stuttering. so, 24p content should be put out with 24p (24hz).

50/60 Hz output refers to the refresh rate of your TV. aTV Flash (black) won’t change the refresh rate output, but chances are your current TV will already support either 50 or 60 Hz.[/quote]

actually not. content with 24p, which will be output with 50/60hz, has to be pulled up. (24fps*2 = 48fps/hz,2 frames missing). the result is a little bit of stuttering. so, 24p content should be put out with 24p (24hz).[/quote]

Ok, I see what you’re getting at. Some devices (like Blu-ray players) will have a dedicated 24p cinematic output option. Unfortunately the AppleTV has no such option, and the current version of aTV Flash (black) does not provide it either.

It’s a good idea for a future version, and I’ll pass it along to see what we can do.

actually not. content with 24p, which will be output with 50/60hz, has to be pulled up. (24fps*2 = 48fps/hz,2 frames missing). the result is a little bit of stuttering. so, 24p content should be put out with 24p (24hz).[/quote]

Ok, I see what you’re getting at. Some devices (like Blu-ray players) will have a dedicated 24p cinematic output option. Unfortunately the AppleTV has no such option, and the current version of aTV Flash (black) does not provide it either.

It’s a good idea for a future version, and I’ll pass it along to see what we can do.[/quote]

thats great! i think it would be a really nice option. i hope there are no restrictions by the hardware and it can be controlled via software settings.

Woooooowwwwww!! It would be simply perfect!!!
24p cinema mode in atv flash media player!!!
Please, do it!!!

Yes, it would be a great feature but unfortunately I do not think that it’s possible on the current hardware platform. If it was possible, Apple would already have inplemetented this in a firmware update: you can find many complaints on the Apple support forum about “video stutter” on the aTV2. 

This is why aTV2 actually is a pretty poor mediaplayer and I don’t see any reason to jailbreak and install a firmware like aTV Flash, even though it has some great features. I can now use Airvideo to stream pretty much any format to my aTV, but I don’t use it because of the stutter caused by the conversion from 24p to 50/60 Hz. 

bump
There was no change to this? Is it hardware limitation?

Sorry, we don’t have any kind of ETA on this feature right now.