2022 Apple TV Announced

Does my 1st gen 4K serve as a smart home hub?

I honestly never checked, since I’ve got Amazon and Google devices … but I’m getting so damn tired of them “… by the way”ing, “… one more thing”ing, and “… did you know?”ing me all the time I might happily throw them all out if Siri can just turn lights on an off and set timers I ask for and otherwise keep her mouth shut.

1 Like

Smart home hub yes, thread hub no. Need HomePod mini or 2021/2022 Apple TV

2 Likes

Oh, cool. I’ll look into this. :+1:t3:
No thread network here, so no concerns there.

1 Like

You said in a couple of sentences what I planned to say in several paragraphs

I walk in/out of the door on night or day shifts and I know that what I want to happens just happens.

1 Like

Was this reply directed at me (any my comments about Alexa & Google’s excessive chattiness)? Because if Siri can just do things I ask for without editorializing or trying to sell me on more ways I could be utilizing her — I swear my Alexa and Google devices come off as more desperate for human interaction than even my lonely self has ever been — that would be golden. :pray:t3:

It will be. Threads and Matter are going to be the industry standard very very soon.

And yes, Homekit can have things change state based on you arriving home or leaving without you needing to interact with it. It knows when your iphone gets close so it can turn on lights or set alarms when you leave.

1 Like

Ah, but that’s all new hardware I’d need to get … and being an apartment dweller, I can really get by with just a single old-fashioned gigabit wireless router 99% of the time. If necessary, I’ve got a second I can set up as an access point.

But yes, for sake of future proofing, I suppose if I were to buy one of the new AppleTVs (which I truly don’t need now no matter how much I might want to upgrade ‘just because’) I ought to consider paying up for the extra capability.

In your opinion with the new apple tv there will be the possibility with Infuse to have Dolby Atmos from the various hd audio formats, for example from True HD?

Unfortunately there is nothing new mentioned via hardware or software that apple would be supporting additional audio or video formats besides hdr10+

Have Apple stopped selling the AppleTV HD and AppleTV 4k (2021)?

Yes they have

A post was split to a new topic: Homkit Nuts & Bolts

New Apple TV has 4GB of RAM up from 3GB.

1 Like

Here is a summary of changes

1 Like

Hi,

In the audio specs found in te Apple Website, here’s what they list :

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1), E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound), and Dolby Atmos.

Does it mean that we’ll be finally able to play Dolby True HD in 7.1 and other 7.1 audio files or am i missing something ?

Infuse can already play 7.1 HD audio files. You just cannot bitstream them to get Atmos.

1 Like

The Dolby atmos reference is in regards to Dolby atmos on top of e-ac-3 so lossy and not TrueHD.

1 Like

New details emerging and good news:

3 Likes

How many TVs work with QMS VRR, you ask? Well, zero at the moment.

Okay then :rofl:

1 Like

But isn’t QMS an Subset from VRR?
Maybe a TV which support VRR could support QMS, too? :wink::+1: