DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD sound bug

Hello,

when I play DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD MKV files (for example Blade Runner 2049) there is only a horrible noise that comes out of all speakers. You need to restart the movie a couple of times until the sound is normal again. Skipping to another timestamp in the movie can cause this issue to occur again.

Dolby Digital and DTS files do play normally.

Latest stable ATV4K tvOS and Infuse Pro release with audio settings best/auto.

Is this a known bug?

Thanks, bye bye.

audio mediainfo Bladerunner 2049:

Audio #1 ID : 2 Format : DTS Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems Format profile : MA / Core Codec ID : A_DTS Duration : 2 h 43 min Bit rate mode : Variable / Constant Bit rate : 2 261 kb/s / 1 509 kb/s Channel(s) : 6 channels Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF) Bit depth : 16 bits Compression mode : Lossless / Lossy Stream size : 2.58 GiB (8%)

Do you have the Audio Output in Infuse set to Auto and the settings on the ATV set to Auto/Best Available?

This is per the users guide here Audio Options (tvOS) – Firecore

Yes.

I don’t have this problem with my current amp (Sony str dn1080) but I did have it with my old amp which was a denon. What type of amp do you have? Have you tried MrMC to see if the problem occurs there as well?

This issue does not seem to be occur with MrMC. But if I change audio to passthrough I get this weird noise all the time with MrMC.

My AVR is a Yamaha RX-V685 but it also occurs if the sound is only played via SAMSUNG HU8590 TV.

This may be shot in the dark but make sure ALL processing is turned off on your Yamaha amp/receiver. I have a Yamaha TSR-7810 (very similar to your receiver) and noticed audio issues with this specific title when the audio “Enhancer” function is enabled. This is the only title I have had any issues with. I’m guessing it has something to do with the incredibly low LFE at the beginning of the film. With the Enhancer off it plays back fine.

I never use Enhancer and as I said it happens also on TV audio w/o the Yamaha Amp.

Is this happening with all DTS-HD MA videos, or just a few?

Can you replicate this with one of the DTS-HD MA trailers found here?

Lastly, can you double-check to ensure the Audio Output option in Infuse > Settings is set to Auto and not Passthrough? Passthrough is not available in tvOS 11.3+, and this setting will be removed in an upcoming version.

Infuse audio output is set to “Auto”.

I have only 5 DTSHD movies in my collection. I could only reproduce the issue with “Blade Runner 2049” and “Pixels” the other 3 movies seems to play without this audio issue. But you need to understand, that this issue is not reliable reproduceable: For example you can play the movie and jump in the movie to different timestamps and the issue does not appear. Another time the issue appears right on start of the same movie or if you jump the second time maybe to another position. Seems to be totally random behavior.

The DTS HD MA sample is fine.