Help get (more) Dolby Atmos on Apple TV

It’s the same audio quality, just with the Apple TV doing the decoding and not the receiver.

yeah about that I’ve been watching lost in space on Apple TV in 5.1 when it came out and I compared with the xbox in Atmos. the Apple TV decoding didn’t sound good with a low level and almost no dynamic. did anyone already have this problem?

Of course they are.

I think Netflix uses the native player. It’s possible that this supports atmos without any additional work from the developer.

1 Like

For “Daddy’s home 2” I see : Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital plus 7.1, Dolby 5.1.
Interesting to see that iTunes proposes the 3 formats… question of days now :wink:

Unfortunately, the Atmos support Apple has available in 12.0 is limited to VOD services that serve content via HTTP Live Streaming (HLS). In essence, all an app like Netflix needs to do is start serving up Atmos content, and it will start working.

We’ve requested more versatile ways of utilizing Atmos on the Apple TV, and Apple has told us they are ‘working on it’ but declined to provide an ETA.

This could be a situation similar to last year where Apple added manual frame rate switching in 11.0, and then followed that up with automatic switching in 11.2.

Time will tell, but for now we’re keeping our fingers crossed. ??

3 Likes

Is this something we could opt for using in Infuse, just to be able to have access to Atmos, even if it is lossy?

so will have to wait at least 2 months…Apple lately is so lazy,it took them 1+ years to just add atmos… Tim Cook =$$$$$$$

I still think ATV4K is the best. I also have en Nvidia Shield. And it stincks regarding stability and usability

well, that’s a bit of a disaster. going to be hard to have to keep explaining that for months to come. Hell, they may never change that as Apple has shown little regard for this use case. Can you use HLS to stream from a Plex server? Seems like ironically plex using the native client may be able to support this before Infuse’s custom player that handles all the cool DTS/HD formats.

Agreed. If you want another media player to tie you over check out dune and zidoo. I have a zidoo x9s that I use for movies… the firmware still needs work (drop frames with web-dl files) and the interface isn’t as nice as infuse but if you need frame pack 3D, 4K hdr and bitstream it’s a good player. Once Apple allows atmos access in infuse I’ll probably drop my zidoo and use infuse exclusively.

Infuse might be dead in the water here. Will be difficult for me to pay for the next version if atmos is not supported

I think it’s fair to say that people streaming local media are not apple’s primary market. They’ve got atmos working on schedule for iTunes, vudu, Netflix etc. Hopefully the next step will be to make the tools available for others to use.

‘‘I think it’s fair to say that people streaming local media are not apple’s primary market. They’ve got atmos working on schedule for iTunes, vudu, Netflix etc. Hopefully the next step will be to make the tools available for others to use.’’
I think apple have to look at how many people have Infuse and don’t care about itunes. Netflix is another story,if they didn’t have netflix i think more then 50% of people that bought apple tv wooden bought one. So if apple don’t do nothing what infuse can do to implement atmos? If they can’t add atmos then there out…vlc will eat them!

Won’t VLC have the same limitations? I think the number of infuse owners who also have atmos are largely insignificant when it comes to Apple TVs market. I’ll narrow it down even further…I am an Infuse user with a pretty decent atmos setup and I’m fairly ambivalent about whether or not firecore get round to implementing atmos. The reason for me is that given the size of high quality 4k rips…I’d rather just wait til the price drops on iTunes and pick them up for a few pounds. When you consider the cost of hard drive space, the difference isn’t all that great.

VLC is free… so why pay for the same specs?!

I don’t think infuse have anything to worry about from vlc. And there’s no progress with MrMC supporting atmos either. Looks like it just can’t be done at the moment.

When connected to my local library via the computers app on the ATV 4K the sample Atmos videos play correctly, are these handled differently?

Is Infuse able to decode Atmos to PCM and send the Atmos metadata on top right now (so in the end I will hear the „same“)? Or do we have to wait for properly Atmos support without HLS restriction?

No