tvOS 11: Library updates in the background

One of the last major annoyances for me in Infuse on tvOS is to have to refresh the library first thing after launch.

tvOS 11 offers two new facilities to update the app in the background: Background Fetch and Silent Notifications (See https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tvos/209/ beggining at 7:45 min)
I would like to suggest supporting these features to keep the library updated in the background, so you get a current library view when you start the app, and to update the top shelf without even starting the app. As a minimum a periodic background fetch will do the job.
A little more sophisticated would be a push notification service which allows you to trigger a library update via an API call from your favorite download manager, so you can get even more immediate updates.

Thanks for considering.

71 Likes

Great suggestion. This is one of the faults of Infuse that can be repaired today! An option like on plex which allows to choose when to refresh the data “time” “modification of the folder”

1 Like

+1 For this

+1 for sure!!

I think I remember reading one of the devs talking about this finally coming to tvOS11, so hopefully it isn’t too far out. Really annoying if the library gets larger

1 Like

This is the only downfall to infuse. A device is plugged into power and connected to the network all day yet when I go to use it we have to wait for it to update the library.

2 Likes

Absolutely +1

+1

+1

+1 from me also

Great idea!

It would be awesome if Infuse could update library in the background.

Moreover, it would be nice to have a popup message on Apple TV that updating the library has finished. Just like when Apple Music changes the song, there is this little box in upper-hand right corner.

2 Likes

+1

Big +1 for this.

+1

+1

+1

James has previously said that there are issues with background processing because Apple restrict what Is allowed by apps in the App Store. I"m not sure if it is the amount of processor time allowed or the APIs allowed to be used by background processes or some other limit; but until Apple remove the restrictions on background processing, the background processing of the Metadata is unlikely to happen.

Where you see problems, we see opportunities! :slight_smile:

First of all, James may have said it, but circumstances have changed.

https://firecore.com/sites/default/files/upload/silent.png

Second of all, we can start a petition, a push, towards Apple, just as James did we 24fps, so that Apple will allow some kind of background activity for apps such as InFuse : )

People just need the template and target, and we can make it happen.

I would love that too.

May be the update should only focus on finding the new files added, without downloading the poster and information. Then, once we launch Infuse, the app will update the content based on the files found in the background process.

+1