Dolby/DTS Passthrough

Update 4/4/16: As of Infuse 4.1, all audio issues have been resolved. Infuse now supports Dolby AC3/E-AC3/TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD MA. More info on the available audio options can be found here.

For those looking to test their system, a number of sample videos of varying quality and channel count can be found here. Dolby - DTS - Channel Test 1 - Channel Test 2

Update 4/4: 4.1 is now live! https://firecore.com/blog/14683

Update 3/30: 4.1 has been submitted to Apple.

Update 3/17: We're working to put the finishing touches on 4.1, and hope to submit it to Apple soon.

Update 3/4: We are on track to include a number of big audio related improvements in the upcoming 4.1 update. More news to come soon!

Update 2/22: It looks like we have a good group of people ready to test 4.1. Thanks to all those who volunteered!

Update 2/20: We're looking for a few people (preferably those with 7.1 surround systems and test material) to provide feedback for the upcoming 4.1 update. If you're interested, please shoot me a PM with a few details about your AV setup. Thanks!

Update 2/19: We're in the process of adding a number of improvements that should resolve the vast majority of issues that have been reported. We're planning to have these improvements available in the next update (4.1) which shouldn't be too far off. Thanks for your patience. ;)

Update 2/17: We're working on a few leads that look promising - more news to come soon.

Update 2/5: Still in progress...

Update 1/12: We're still investigating this issue, and are working directly with DTS on a solution. Most indicators point to chipset differences between various receiver models as a reason why some receivers work, while others do not. Since the Apple TV offers limited control over what is sent over HDMI, we're going to need to get creative to solve this. I'll post more info as it becomes available.

Update 12/12: Our AVR-X3200W arrived, and we are seeing the same exact issue. No combination of settings seem to allow passthrough to work. We're looking into this to see what options we have. We've also have a Yamaha RX-A1050 and Marantz SR5010 on the way to see if it's somehow related to the newer 2.0a HDMI spec, or if it's mainly specific to Denon models. We're going to do everything we can to get this working, so stay tuned for updates.

Update 12/9: We've got a Denon AVR-X3200W on the way - we'll see what we can do. ;)

We're looking in a few reports where static noise is heard instead of surround sound. While we've not yet been able to replicate the issue here, it does seem to be related to specific receiver models. If you're getting static instead of surround sound try the following first - if the issue persists, please post your receiver brand/model as well as the audio track type (swipe down while a video is playing and slide to 'Audio' to see the specs) so we can try and narrow things down.

1. Dolby/DTS over HDMI option is enabled in Infuse
  2. Disable Reduce Loud Sounds in Settings > Audio & Video menu (this is key!)
  3. Set Audio Mode is set to 16bit in Settings > Audio & Video menu
  4. Use a different HDMI cable (just for fun)

Also, if one of the tips above helped surround sound start working you can let us know that too. Thanks!

Tried all the things but nothing works. As said in the Blog commments, my receiver (Harman / Kardon AVR 140) does not have HDMI. But I get Surround with Infuse 3 and Airplay on the same setup with the same files (tested several).

Sony STR-DN2010 Reveiver.

ATV4 surround sound AUTO
Audiomodus both AUTO and 16 bits tried
Infuse Dolby/DTS HDMI on.

I have no sound with these settings.

When i use, Dolby Digital HDMI off, i do get Linear PCM on my receiver. No blue decode light on the receiver.

Everything tested, Always Noise. Except when set of dts via hdmi, then Stereo of course.
So while in Beta testing the App, everything was fine, Perfect dts decoding.
Receiver: Yamaha rx a-2010.

Hope youl find the Issue soon. Could it have to do something with the TestFlight version parallel installed?
Martin.

Sonos Playbar in surround-mode with Sonos Sub and Sonos Play 1 as rear speakers, connected to tv with optical cable. Surround is passed through tv and works fine from netflix, iTunes ect…

ATV4 surround sound AUTO
Infuse Dolby/DTS HDMI on. Works fine in stereo.

Same here, i connect my atv4 directly to my yamaha receiver thru HDMI cable, usually my receiver is auto detecting the DTS signal and twitch it on, but here its just a noise. no DTS signal
thanks
Jamal

So thats interesting. After rebooting atv4 i got dts surround. 5.1 also 7.1. But if i Switch with the cursor of Atv to the settings Panel above while in playback Mode, then the Noise comes while switching to every entry. Also different audio trcks, subtitles., info… For only a Short time . Then switch back to dts surround. Video is perfect.

So, you just have to reboot your atv - perhaps this worked for now?!

Ciao,
Martin

Denon AVR X1200W, no DTS sound only stereo.

ATV4 surround sound AUTO
Infuse Dolby/DTS HDMI on.

I have no sound with these settings.

When i use, Dolby Digital HDMI off, i do get Linear PCM on my receiver.

Plex and SimpleX works good with Dolby via HDMI

Same issue here, just bought Infuse 4 and can’t play Dolby or DTS
All I hear is static noise

Receiver: Denon AVR-X2200W
Connected through HDMI cable

If I disable Send DTS through HDMI in Infuse I get stereo sound that works.

Problems with dts-hd and dolby digital plus: Apple TV set on surround sound auto and 16bit, receiver harman kardon AVR1700, link HDMI.
dolby digital plus 5.1 is only stereo, dolby digital is recognized and decoded, dts is decoded, dts MA is decoded in dts core. AAC 7.1 is only stereo.

On my yamaha rx-779 the issue is only in the top down menue while playback, when i stop playback, the menue sound is fine.

On playback dolby and dts works without any issue

From technically side solution could be, if you offer a bitstream option, downside would be that the menue sound will not be mixed into the audio then, but who cares i think the problem will be solved

Yep - this is an easier fix, and will likely be in the next update.

Hi
Same problem apple tv 4 with hdmi through sony tv . From the TV with optical to sony Av- receiver.
Thanks a lot for the rest of this formidable app

Yep - this is an easier fix, and will likely be in the next update.[/quote]

What is wrong with the bitstream option? IMO the best solution for real passtrough.

So what you are saying is that Atv>TV with HDMI and then TV>reciever with optical cable will not work? If that is the case, I am sad :frowning:
I get surround in youtube and netflix app with this setup so I dont see the issue…
Just for reference this is my TV: Sony BRAVIA KDL-55W905A
And my sound system: Logitech Z906

Totally different things. The generic term “surround” is not equivalent to a native AC3 or DTS bitstream. Your TV does not support decoding/passthrough of AC3 and/or DTS, hence you’ve got to disable it in Infuse. Blaming Infuse for limitations of your TV is just irrational.

Youtube, Netflix and other apps decode whatever audio they receive from their servers on the AppleTV and outputs as linear PCM. This is exactly what Infuse also does when you disable AC3/DTS output, though it seems Infuse will only decode the audio into plain stereo. I supposed FireCore could improve this by decoding to full surround.

In the meantime you could try something like a HDMI to optical audio converter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351337702424

I’ve got one of those on order for my brother’s AppleTV 4 setup but haven’t had the opportunity to try it out yet.

Totally different things. The generic term “surround” is not equivalent to a native AC3 or DTS bitstream. Your TV does not support decoding/passthrough of AC3 and/or DTS, hence you’ve got to disable it in Infuse. Blaming Infuse for limitations of your TV is just irrational.

Youtube, Netflix and other apps decode whatever audio they receive from their servers on the AppleTV and outputs as linear PCM. This is exactly what Infuse also does when you disable AC3/DTS output, though it seems Infuse will only decode the audio into plain stereo. I supposed FireCore could improve this by decoding to full surround.

I’ve got one of those on order for my brother’s AppleTV 4 setup but haven’t had the opportunity to try it out yet.[/quote]

I have a switch HDMI with optical audio converter and i have the same problem, a static noisy sound when DTS/DD HDMI is on

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/HDMI-Switch-Switcher-Extractor-Converter-Konverter-3x1-1x3-SPDiF-4K-CX-KH7-/121743357554?hash=item1c58783672:g:Qt4AAOSwHnFV3zjm

I have no problem with plex or airplay or another app

Hello there!

I also had problem with static noise yesterday after installing and trying out this awesome software. As I have small kids i really appreciate Apples “Reduce loud noises” function but disable it helped in my case, with a Pioneer AV. You might want to try that out?

I still have static noises when pulling down the top menu (for subtitles etc.) but turning off navigation sounds helped a bit. Also experience a bit of video stuttering as noted in other threads.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I’ve got one of those on order for my brother’s AppleTV 4 setup but haven’t had the opportunity to try it out yet.[/quote]

Okay I see, but where did you find the information that my TV does not support DTS/AC3 passthrough? I suppose I could try one of those converters or just use this as a reason to justify the purchase of a new sound system :slight_smile:

Thinking about getting one of these as I’m using a Sony Integrated Blu-Ray/surround system and a Pansonic Viera LED TV both have ARC enabled and think i’m using 1.4 cables but not 100% - this box should work around this issue and allow all audio formats to play!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018QKOFD8?keywords=hdmi%20arc%20optical&qid=1449234776&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3